how do you use a rice steamer

kellgetterAugust 1, 2008

I acquired a rice steamer from a garage sale. Now if only I knew how to use it! Can anybody instruct me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atomicvole

What brand and model.
Searching by manufacturer can often allow downloads of operation instructions.

My simple Zenjuroshi, uses a supplied measuring cup, and marks along the side for water levels. Each mark corresponds to each cup of rice used. It also has a steamer insert, a slotted raised disk that sits on the bottom, a little bit of water under that, some veggies and wait for the ding and they are done. Mine is very simple in operation, much like a toaster, been using it for nearly 18 years.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 1:25PM
kellgetter

It's a Salton RA-3. Tried looking it up but no manual is available online. Great idea though. Sadly, I don't have the rice measure for it. Hope I'm not doomed to a perfectly good unusable product.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 4:45PM
asolo

Nothing definite but here's a site with 143 reviews. Maybe something in there. I googled "Salton RA-3 reviews".

FWIW, I have a Panasonic. Cost too much ($160.00) but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Superior rice. Best I've found is Kokuho Rose. Different world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salton Rice Cooker reviews

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 5:50PM
kellgetter

Multiple heads are better than 1. I Googled the model before your suggestion & didn't come across that link. From the reviews I can see why I acquired this lil number so cheap. Perhaps I'll look into purchasing a real steamer like the ones you mentioned asolo. Thanks a bunch!

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 11:37PM
asolo

If you're going to splurge, the one I have (2 years. Perfect from day 1) is Panasonic SR-MM10NS available at Williams-Sonoma. This is the one that "won" the Wall Street Journal shoot-out a couple of years ago although I'm sure its competitors are just as good. With the machine and Kokuho Rose, I've made many converts among family and friends. Two closest friends, after poo-pooing my "extravagant" purchase for months, both bought one for themselves upon dining with me and tasting the result.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 12:13AM
arley_gw

It ain't rocket science, so don't sweat it. Worst that will happen is that you'll mess up a couple of batches while figuring out the proportions, but here's a seat-of-the-pants trick for measuring the proportions of rice and water:

Put the rice in the pot, spread out so it's flat and not a mound. (Some people recommend rinsing the rice first.) Hold your index finger vertically so it's just barely touching the rice. Fill the pot with water to the point where the water level just touches the finger crease of the distal finger joint (that is, the finger joint nearest the fingernail). Then close the pot and turn on the rice cooker.

See what kind of results that gives you: if it's gummy, don't use quite so much water next time, if it's dry use a little more water. If that technique works for you, you never need to measure anything.

OTOH, if you want or need to measure: I've had a couple of rice cookers, and found that the included measuring 'cup' is actually 6 ounces, so that when cooked it ends up making about 1 cup of cooked rice. So you can use a quarter-cup measure three times for each cup of cooked rice you want. If you want to end up with 3 cups of cooked rice, measure out into the pot 18 ounces (2 and 1/4 cups) of rice, fill the water to the 3 cup mark on the pot, and close it and cook it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 1:10PM
kellgetter

Thanks again asolo. You rock Arley! Gr8 tips! I appreciate you guys for taking to the to help me out. Group hug, LOL!

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 11:36AM
kellgetter

Arley! Here's a follow up! Did exactly as you recommended. My rice is stellar!!! YEAAAAAAAAAH! I luv you, LOL!

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:40PM
asolo

Can't go through life eating inferior rice! Good on ya!

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 4:31PM
kellgetter

Touche! My inferior rice are indeed over! Next stop, mastering sushi!

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 8:22PM
ntt_hou

We, asian, cook rice... no measure:o)

Generally, 1 part of rice with 2 parts of water. Do that on your first try. Then, add or subtract the water accordingly because different type of rice absorbs different level of water. Even the same type of rice asborb differently due to when it was harvested.

You do want to rinse rice to get rid of the starch that covers the rice.

As a general instruction for an electric rice cooker: Once the rice and water is in the cooker, press the button in the front down. When it pops back up, it is done (approximately 15-20 mins.). Watch out for hot steam when open the lid.

Note that this model doesn't seemed to have a "keep warm" feature. So, don't leave it on for too long once the rice is cooked.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 7:00PM
md_shentop_gmail_com

Welcome(http://www.shentop.net) the most professional commerce supplies of world's maximum one-stop B2C market from China, ShenTop supply One-stop-shopping service, Catering Equipment(include Baking, Snack, Display, Store, Food Processing, Restaurant, Kitchen Appliances, Beverages ), Beer/ Wine Cooler, Outdoor Funiture,Bakery Equipment, Home Appliance, Hotel products and so on.
ShenTop web: http://www.shentop.net

Email: md.shentop@gmail.com
Tel: 86-757-22662473
MSN: Md.shentop@hotmail.com
FaceBook: http://facebook.com/shentop
We spread love and sunlight! ÃÂÃÂ???????ÃÂ?

Here is a link that might be useful: shentop

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 10:50PM
sushipup1

Shirley Tan is obviously a crook. Spammers try to get you to go to their links, then sell your email address to lots of other spammers. They doi not sell real products, no matter what their websites state. They'll steal your credit card info, tho.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
dccnm
Sponsored Products
Toscano Leather Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
BEGA | LED Garden and Pathway Bollard - 7340
$495.00 | YLighting
Tahla Green Onyx Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Brunswick Nightstand - 47622
$272.98 | Hayneedle
Zaneen | Dau Spot LED Ceiling Light
$393.60 | YLighting