Converting a Sterilizer to a Canner?

bcanyon3August 12, 2008

Hi,

I have an All American 1915X Non Electric Sterlizer that isn't being used. I would like to convert it to a canner. I understand that the gauges are different for this function and was wondering if anyone out there knows how I might be able to convert it. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

One nice thing about Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry Co. (WAFCO--they make the All American products) is that they still sell parts for all their pressure cookers and sterilzers. My guess is that you could replace the vent pipe, the gauge and get a jiggle weight from WAFCO and you'd be good to go--IF the gauges and vent pipes are threaded identically.

The only question I would have: does that sterilizer have a rubber blow out plug? I can't tell from the picture. If it does not have that safety feature, I don't know if I would want to risk using it without that...

The link is to WAFCO All American parts dept.; might want to give them a call or an email to see if this is a feasible conversion. They also sell tops for their canners; if you could ascertain that the bottom of the 1915 sterilizer is the same as the bottom of one of the pressure canner models, you could just order the top...but then you're approaching the cost of a full new unit.

Hope you succeed. I have a 930 and love it. I had a 921 and gave it to a relative. I'm sold on their quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: All American pressure canner parts

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady

Coming to this late, but this topic was discussed on Harvest. Check the link. A search will bring up a couple of other threads also.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Converting Sterilizer to Pressure Canner

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 3:31AM
More Discussions
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™