stick blenders?

aprilquiltsAugust 9, 2006

I'm considering purchasing a stick blender. Is this something that you all use a lot? What types of things do you make? The brands I'm considering are Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, and Braun. I'm kind of keen on a Braun one I saw on Macy's website. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Braun stick blender

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Looks pretty good! I don't know if I would use the extra attachments, but maybe you would?

You want a metal shaft on a stick blender - not plastic - so you can puree soups right in the pot while they are still hot. Which is the main reason I got my (imported) stick blender years ago when they first came out.

Go for it!
Teresa

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 7:37PM
suzyq3

The L.A. Times food section often includes an article in which a group of kitchen experts rate different brands of a specified gadget or appliance. A while ago they examined stick blenders and concluded that the Kitchenaid was superior in design and performance. If I recall correctly, the reviewers touted KitchenAid's larger size to be a plus for an immersion hand blender. We purchased one based on their comments and have been very happy with it. We've used it for soups, sauces, even milkshakes. The other night we even used it to make fresh bread crumbs, which came out a bit finer than we had wanted but still perfectly okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid immersion hand blender

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 7:46PM
aprilquilts

Does anyone know how many watts the kitchenaid has? I know the braun has 400. That seems like a lot. The Cuisinart I saw today was 200 watts. Does that matter?

What are some things you use your stick blenders for? Thanks, April

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 5:30PM
brooksiefan

I have the Kitchenaid stick blender and love it. I have no idea how many watts. It does everything I want it to do. I make a lot of smoothies with frozen fruit--the blender has no problem with them.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 11:34PM
adoptedbygreyhounds

I have the KitchenAid and love using it. I also bought it based on a Consumer Reports-type of article in the paper. They tested and compared things like noise, power, length of cord, price, etc.

I couldn't find out how many watts it has, but it is very powerful and the job is done in seconds.

I've used mine for salad dressings, soups, smoothies and, thanks to Arley's suggestion, combining butter and EVOO which I keep in a tub in the frig. With the whisk attachment, you can whip cream, beat egg whites, mix puddings, etc. On KA's website, if you click on the Use and Care Guide, there is a sampling of recipes.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 10:05AM
adoptedbygreyhounds

Whoops! I thought I had posted the artcle in this thread. Here's a link to the review of the blenders in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Here is a link that might be useful: AJC review of stick blenders

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Sponsored Products
Bosch MUM6N10UC Universal Plus Kitchen Machine
Overstock.com
Vitamix Pro 300
$529.00 | FRONTGATE
Dualit Professional Immersion Blender
$129.95 | FRONTGATE
Vita-Mix 1002 Vita-Prep 64-oz Blending Station
Overstock.com
Ninja NJ600 XL Master Prep Pro Blender
Overstock.com