silicone baking mats...any difference?

sighAugust 18, 2005

I've heard a few people mention silpat silicone mats for lining their cookie sheets but I was wondering if there was any real difference between the different brands? I came across a stack of the Kitchenaid version on clearance yesterday priced at 7$ each or 10$ with "jelly roll pan" and nylon spatula. Since all of my cookie sheets have been trashed (when I bake I do so on pizza pans) & full sheet pans don't fit in my oven the pan & mat set seemed appealing but if the mat isn't any good it's just another waste of money.

I'm new to the world of silicone baking mats but they seem like a great idea, reusable parchment paper-esque.

Thanks very much for your help!

Nina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granjan

I have Silpat but I don't think there are any differences in brands. They are great for anything that sticks but I don't use them for traditional butter/sugar cookies. i don't think the cookies brown or crisp as well. I bake lots of cookies and only have 2 mats but lots of cookie sheets. I love the mats for meringues and stained glass cookies.

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 2:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sigh

Thanks, granjan! I started trying to read up on the silicone mats & the lack of browning/crisping was mentioned. I was thinking that they would also be ideal for something like a King's Cake which always seems to bubble out some cinnamon & sugar no matter how well I seal the sections...the slower browning on the bottom would actually be a plus (at least in my oven) for something like that. So they'll never replace parchment paper, sounds like.

And I like the idea of being able to use them to roll out dough on for those days when I don't feel like toting out my bread board.

Thanks for your help!

Nina

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Sea Gull Lighting Celebrity Deluxe 52 in. Indoor Brushed Ni
Home Depot
Thermocast Utility Sinks Kensington Drop-in Acrylic 25x22x12 3-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Laura Lee Cortona Single Light 13 1/2" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Rosle Silicone Locking Tongs - 9"
$33.00 | FRONTGATE
Arturo Alvarez | Gea Floor Lamp
YLighting
Pineapple On The Rocks Ice Tray - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Bruck | Apollos Spot I Uni-Plug Fixture