Do Electric Induction Kettles Exist?

johnjohngwAugust 3, 2005

I started looking for kettles for boiling water, considered the stovetop models, remembered that I prefer the Zojirushi electric dispensers, then started wondering whether there was something equivalent which used induction technology instead of a ceramic element...

No google results, so I was wondering whether anyone here knew of anything...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Melic

I swear by my electric kettle. Any number of brands will do just fine: Russell Hobbs (my first), Krups, Dualit, etc. If you're lucky enough to live in the UK, the 240v models heat even faster than the puny ones we have to deal with.

I actually have an induction portable burner and love it. But I know that the induction rice cookers are still very costly, for instance. I suspect that an induction kettle would also be pretty expensive at this point.

In the meantime, the electric kettles are relatively inexpensive, fast, and best of all, they turn off when they're done so there's no melting of your teakettle on the stove burner (not that I've ever done that :-) )

I'm absolutely spoiled after 5 years or so with mine. I like them better than the installed InstaHots at the sink (which burn out after a number of years and are far more expensive to replace than an electric kettle).

Good luck, though. I'd be interested in any such animal exists.

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 4:31PM
spewey

I think they'd be outrageously expensive, considering an electric kettle can be had for $10 or $20.

Bookmark   August 6, 2005 at 11:17PM
johnjohngw

My main question has to do with the cost of boiling water. I bought my mother a Zojirushi model which boils then maintains water at just under the boiling point. But, she still boils water on the stovetop because "gas is cheaper than electricity," then pours that water into the kettle to maintain the temp. I have no idea whether the cost thing is true or even whether we're talking anything significant over the course of a year, but that's what she does. And the whole reason for getting the "kettle" (Zojirushi's look more like an air-pot) was to free up the spot that the traditional kettle monopolizes on the stovetop. Infuriating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zojirushi

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™