all-clad vs henckels??

victoriajaneJuly 8, 2009

Re: stainless steel tri-ply, I'm noticing in my research that many of the so-called "tri-ply" or "multi-ply" cookware sets are multi-clad on the bottom only versus all the way up the sides, the latter being better for cooking in terms of even heat distribution. I know All-clad is fully clad, and I've just discovered the classic clad line from Henckels which is significantly cheaper. As they are both fully clad, is there anything that makes the All-Clad superior? I'm leaning toward Henckels at the moment. Also, are there any other fully (bottom to rim) multi-clad cookware brands I should be researching? Thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzyq3

We have a variety of cookware, including AC. We do have one Henckels, a 5-quart saute pan, and find it of comparable quality to the AC. It is fully clad. It's an extremely good value. I think Amazon has that pan for $99, free shipping.

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:45AM
victoriajane

Thanks for the response suzyq3. I just ordered the 5 quart casserole/saute pan from Amazon for $69.99 with free shipping! Of all the cookware I need at the moment, this is the one I need most, or at least will get the most use out of. I'm really looking forward to it; I'm sure I'll love it. Re: additional Henckels cookware, I sure would like to "test drive" those handles in person but there is not a dealer nearby so it will have to be a leap of faith if I decide to go that route. Also I've read that the multiple rivets on the Henckels handles are a pain to clean, so we'll see. I sampled All-Clad this week and decided it is not for me (had a problem with the handles.)

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:00PM
grnidkjun

Keep an eye out at your local TJMaxx as well. Lately, I've picked up several pieces of the KitchenAid 5ply fully clad as well at very reasonable prices. The KitchenAid 5 ply also has 3 rivets on it's handles.

Hope that helps as well.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 10:57PM
azbroder

I hate the handles on Henckels, and there are rumors of leaks near the rivets. Check out Cuisinart Multiclad Pro and Cuisinox. (Both at Amazon) Both are fully clad, not only bottoms, and handles are riveted too. The Cuisinart is a very good deal. IMHO Cuisinart Pro pans are almost as good as AC (slightly worse shape but better handles), pots are better (all pots have pouring lips, some of my AC pots do not). Cuisinox is excellent but is getting close to A/C in price. One nice thing about Henckels, Cuisinart, Cuisinox, Le Creuset, Mauviel, etc, is that they are all metric sized, so the covers are interchangeable and most cookware is in 3 basic sizes: 20 cm ~ 8in, 24cm ~ 9.5 in, and 28cm ~ 11in. Some of the AC pans I have do not match anything else (10.5 in?).

-- CF

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 3:09AM
More Discussions
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™