Need help with roof color

ChristyGJOctober 4, 2012

Hi everyone! First time poster but a long time reader. We have broken ground on our new home and it's time to choose a roof. Our builder recommends Certainteed Landmark (with the 30 year warranty) The exterior will be James Hardi Color Plus smooth lap in Monterey Taupe and trim in Navajo Beige. The columns, front door and shutters in the dark brown Behr stain and the stone is Centurion Bucks County. Attached is a pic of all the colors together. Now for the question -- do we go with the color weather wood or the color driftwood. Weather wood seems a little light but the driftwood may pull too much gray. Any thoughts or other suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicole007

I have heard going with dark roofs substantially makes it hotter in the summer. Two different roofers have todl me this. Otherwise, I would have wanted a dark roof too.

Another thing I have learned is the picture of the roof on the brochure is the accurate color! The roof tile I had in my hand looked like it couldn't possibly be the same color as the brochure. Up close the tile had different colors and looked like a dark grey tweed and in the brochure it looked light grey. We went with it based on what the tile looked like when we propped it on our porch but when we got it on our roof it was light grey like in the brochure. I was very disappointed.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3sons

We have certainteed Driftwood. It has quite a bit of blue/gray. Our house is a dark green, cream trim and black windows. Weathered wood is common in our area and we wanted something different than the neighbors.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
Please review my plans - help needed with bedroom arrangement
Hi folks! This is the second time I have posted our...
Momto3kiddos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™