WANTED: My partner's fuzzy math scores 100!

lynnalexandraOctober 25, 2006

Well, I am truly blown away and very touched. Deanna (the tease from Oregon) sent me the most amazing package. Somehow she managed to sneak 8 items into a 3 item swap. And boy are they magnificent.

Deanna did some great sleuthing. She got me the Barefoot Contessa's Parties cookbook. I love the Barefoot Contessa books, and I didn't have that one before. Someone on this forum mentioned it recently and I thought that's definitely one to put on my wish list. Deanna had a photo from this luscious book in her thread on a Package Headed East. Many of us were oohing and aahing over that picture. Well, it's mine - all mine. Yippee.

Her homemade item was a fall quilt with pumpkins and fall leaves and colors - with the words "punkin time" on it. It's absolutely wonderful - and so meaningful to me that my swap partner would send something so special. Deanna's thoughtfulness will add to my love for this quilt over the years. It will be interwoven in many holiday and family rituals. I'm not sure she could have sleuthed this fact out, but since my daughter turned 3, I have really gotten into decorating for the holidays. And the decorations and enjoyment grow every year. Her homemade quilt will take it's place in many years of family enjoyment.

Not only did Deanna give me this wonderful punkin quilt, she also sent something handmade for my daughter. A colorful tooth pillow, with a little pocket for leaving her tooth for the tooth fairy. Kyra (my daughter) just loves it. She was a bit amazed that someone she doesn't even know made her this tooth pillow. She wanted me to write here that "it's so pretty" and then she took it to bed with her.

The real fuzzy math came with the regional items. A box of items all from within 100 miles of Deanna in Oregon. Inside a box with a printed MADE IN OREGON stamp, were wonderful treats. Roasted hazelnuts (which I've already tried and are the best hazelnuts I've ever had), Smoke House wild smoked salmon, Cranberries (moist/dried for muffins, salads or just nibbling) and Marionberry jam. And to top it all off, a fabulous handcrafted cheeseboard (with built in slicer) made of Myrtlewood. Myrtle trees only grow in southwestern Oregon. I love the smell and the grain of this wood. It smells kind of nutty. Both my husband and I really appreciate wood grains. When we renovated our kitchen, we picked quarter-figured ash cabinets (with plain slab doors) because it was all about the beauty of the grain. I also have several artisan boxes made from different woods. And my husband collects guitars, where the beauty of the grain is part of the appeal (in addition to the sound). He was looking over my shoulder when I was opening the box, and said "Wow, that's nice" when he saw the cheeseboard.

Deanna, this really is a lovely, generous package. I'm very moved by your thoughtfulness.

I feel deeply contented.

Thank you so much.

Lynn.

PS - Deanna, you said you took photos. I can take photos, but I won't be able to get them on my computer and upload them until tomorrow. If yours are easy for you to post, could you please post them here. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coronabarb

Can't wait to see the pic of the quilt. What wonderful goodies, too!

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 11:36PM
annie1992

I'm also going to wait impatiently to see pictures of that quilt and of the board. My Dad was a furniture builder and he taught me to appreciate the smell, the feel, the grain of wood.

Congratulations, Lynn, it sounds like you got one very special swap box. I'm sure Kyra agrees.

Annie

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 12:06AM
riverrat1

I too will stand with the crowd waiting to see pics of that quilt! It sounds lovely and just perfect to have for the holidays.

Very very nice box! Deanna, you did good ;-)

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 7:10AM
sally2_gw

That sounds like wonderful gifts. How thoughtful to include your daughter! I'm looking forward to the pictures. The quilt and tooth pillow sound very cute.

Sally

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 9:33AM
granjan

Not fair! I'm trying so hard to only count to 3! Boy do I want to see that quilt AND tooth pocket.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 9:47AM
dlundin

I recognized that it was a Barefoot Contessa book (though I wasn't sure which one). I love her cookbooks, too. Very accessible but delicious recipes. I just went to Oregon in August and know they have wonderful, wonderful food there. How special that Deanna put together such a great local package for you. And the quilt! Can't wait to see that!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 10:39AM
chancesmom

What a special package. Handmade by a swap partner is really special, isn't it.

Enjoy it all Lynnalexandra!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 12:34PM
shaun

Lynn how lucky you are to receive that quilt and tooth pillow. I just adore home made things like that and you're right, you'll have that quilt for years and years and always remember that Deanna made it for you. I can't wait to see pictures of everything!

Deanna, you outdid yourself.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 1:00PM
dgkritch

OK, here are the pics I took before sending (minus the inside of the cookbook, which you've already seen--grin).

The Oregon stuff WAS one GIFT PACK from our Made in Oregon store!!! It only counts as one!! Really.

And the tooth fairy pillow wasn't for Lynn!

Unfortunately, the cheese board was buried under the other stuff in the box, so Lynn, can you post that one separately?
You can just see part of the handle of the slicing part at the top of the photo.

The quilt is just a small (maybe 14" x 20") wall hanging.

Glad it arrived OK and hope you enjoy it all. Please post a recipe after you have a chance to try one!!

Deanna (who meant waaaayyyyy East! Lynn's in our nation's capital.)

Tooth Fairy Pillow

Cookbook

Gift Pack

Quilt

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 1:15PM
homesforsale

Absolutely terrific!

The quilt is adorable:)

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 2:10PM
doucanoe

Oh, I love Ina Garten! And I love parties! That book is perfect!

Did you make the quilt, Deanna?

Great box!

Linda

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 2:40PM
arandygail

That is a very cute quilt. It is always so nice to have seasonal things like that to put out. I love the tooth pillow. That will be something that your daughter will treasure and it is so neat that she was made to feel special by someone she doesn't really even know--I am sure that will be a lasting memory for her.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 2:57PM
triciae

The quilt is amazing. How perfect as a centerpiece on a Fall table (do I dare say, "Tablescape"?!). Deanna, I'm assuming you also made that adorable tooth fairy pillow. I'm very impressed.

I also enjoy the Barefoot Contessa so am looking forward to your posting a few recipes. I think her recipes are normally sophisticated yet not intimidating for even novice cooks.

I like the "Made In Oregon" box. What a good idea...fun selection of goodies plus a handmade wood cheeseboard. You have hit the jackpot, for sure, Lynn. Don't forget to let us know how you use the salmon, cranberries (I didn't even know Oregon grew cranberries), hazelnut, and jam.

Wonderful package, Deanna.

Tricia

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 4:06PM
goldgirl

So glad to see pix now :) Love the quilt and I guess Deanna isn't a cheater after all ;) Great package!

Enjoy it all Lynn!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 4:50PM
msrevise

I knew it! I knew that was the book! What a great package--i love all the local items from Oregon that are included, great idea! Please do show use the bread board when you can, Lynn!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 5:09PM
sheshebop

Well, I was glad that the Oregon package was really only "one item" since it was a gift box. It is a very nice package. The wall hanging is really cute. Congratulations Lynn. Nice job, Deanna (who managed to "cheat" in a legal and clever way, lol)

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 5:19PM
lowspark

Oh wow, that quilt is WAY cute!! I agree that it's so meaningful because it was made just for you. One of these days when I have more spare time, I want to learn how to quilt. And the Oregon box is great, so is the cookbook. Great swap box!!!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 5:22PM
Carol Schmertzler Siegel

I love the Ina Garten cookbooks, great choice! Terrific package of goodies, Deanna! Enjoy, Lynn. Looking forward to hearing which recipes you make!

Carol

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 6:04PM
ann_t

I really like Ina Garten too. Great swap box full of wonderful things. And a cute tooth fairy pillow.

But Deanna, sure doesn't know how to count does she. LOL

Ann

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 6:12PM
riverrat1

I like Ina Garten too. I'm glad I came back to look at the pictures. Great gifts.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 6:31PM
dgkritch

Yes I do. humph....

(Impish grin)
It's just.......................different!

ONE gift pack..........just one.
Deanna

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 6:33PM
terri_pacnw

Very nice!
That wall hanging is fabulous!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 7:12PM
maggie2094

oooh, this one was really meant for me. I love Ina, I love Oregon, and I love punkins...no fair :p

Enjoy, Lynn!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 8:41PM
lynnalexandra

It may be fuzzy math, but surely the grammar is correct. The giftpack is wonderful - not the gift pack are wonderful. You'd say "is" - not "are". Doesn't that mean it's singular and not plural. Deanna got it right after all. You sure did get it right. I'm still grinning from ear to ear about this.

I just loaded the pictures I took on my computer. Deanna's are very good, so the only one of mine I'm posting is the giftbox items spread out - and you can see the cheeseboard. I took a few pictures of the cheeseboard, but there was always glare, so none of them capture the grain that well. But this picture does it best.

Thanks again Deanna. Everyone else - eat your hearts out.

Lynn.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 9:45PM
ziporion

I love that cheese board! I'm sure you'll get lots of years of enjoyment out of that. And what a score Lynn! Deanna, your quilt is quite lovely, and sure to be used.

I've heard lots of good reviews for the Barefoot Contessa books, can't wait for you to post a recipe to try.

Nice job Deanna!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 10:09PM
lakeguy35

Another fan of Ina Garten here! I have two of her cookbooks so far and love her show on TFN! Great swap box Deanna! I'm craving some Smoked Salmon now!

David

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 11:33PM
compumom

Another reason to visit Oregon! What a nice selection of goodies and handmade keepsakes. Ina Garten is one of my favorites too. Enjoy!

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 11:39PM
lsr2002

Just one word. WOW!

Lee

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 12:30AM
trixietx

Everything is wonderful, the tooth fairy pillow is so thoughtful and the quilt is just the cutest!

What a nice package!

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 12:38AM
debbie814

A very nice assortment of items that you will enjoy! Now I know what you mean about fuzzy math. LOL

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 6:21AM
traceys

Wow, what a great box of goodies. The quilt is beautiful and so is the cheese board. I'm a fan of Ina Gartens too. I think I'll have to start buying some cookbooks.

The tooth pillow is too cute.

Tracey

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 7:39AM
finally

What a great swap package Deanna--We made a tooth fairy pillow very late in our tooth fairy years. I wish we had done it much sooner. It is a great 'reminder' if the tooth fairy gets forgetful :)

Lynn, you're one lucky duck! Everything in your package is wonderful. I can't wait to see a recipe over on the dicussion thread!

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 12:02PM
alison

What a great package! So much thought, and so many things that can be brought out for years to come.

The cutting board is particularly beautiful.

Good job!

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 12:20PM
andi_2006

I LOVE the quilt and the tooth fairy pillow!! Lynn, Ina's cookbooks are wonderful - "Parties" is my all time favorite. Deanna, what a terrific package!

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 4:09PM
coronabarb

OMG, look at all those goodies! I love the quilt...has a real autumn feel to it.

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 5:23PM
publickman

I visit Oregon whenever possible - it is defintely one of the most beautiful states.

The cheeseboard is stunning, as is the quilting. Everything looks great. From what I can tell, the Ina Garten books will be fantastic also, although I've never seen her. I tried to get one of her videos for this swap on eBay but got outbid.

The tooth pillow is too adorable!

Lars

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 9:00PM
craftyrn

Oh goodness -- that quilted wall hanging is sooooooo nice--the colors are stunning! Deanna you certainly did a good job on just the right " stuff" for Lynn-- will be giving her enjoyment for years to come .

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 9:38PM
wizardnm

I'm amazed, another great swap gift that will be appreciated for years to come.

Nancy

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 10:06PM
Bizzo

oh! the grain in that cheeseboard is beautiful! And I think the gift pack is a great idea! and as a non-quilter, I sure appeciate the labor of love that goes into a quilt. I love the all theme in the quilt, quite lovely...

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 1:51PM
robinkateb

I am also amazed by the quilt. I can preserve but i don't make things that people can have forever. What a great item. The whole box is great.

-Robin

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 7:42PM
Virginia7074

I love it all. It looks like the gift that will keep on giving for many years. Enjaoy it all.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 7:50PM
momto4kids

Lynn, What a great treat! The quilt is amazing! So is the tooth pillow. The giftpack was clever! I enjoy the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, too. Enjoy your bounty!

Great job Deanna!

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 5:24AM
blueiris24

What a thoughtful package Deanna. The wall hanging and the tooth fairy pillow are especially wonderful! Enjoy!

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 10:50PM
stacy3

oooh, that's a great package - Everything looks great and very personal..Great job Deanna.

But I"m really lusting after that cookbook - of all things - lol!

STacy

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Costa Rican food ... and adventure
Forget what you have heard about food in Costa Rica...
publickman
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
Sharing Jacques Pepin
Hi all - rather than tacking this onto the 'Peeves'...
carolb_w_fl
Breaking in my new Waffle Maker
I love my new toy. And I was pleasantly surprised at...
ann_t
Sponsored Products
Living Room Orange Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Domusworks Coco Blue Decorative Pillow - DM44
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Moderno 42 in. White Ceiling Fa
Home Depot
Zuo Big Wave Folding Round Table in Aqua
Beyond Stores
E22032 Blocs 2-lt Bath Vanity
LBC Lighting
Brilliance Bath Bar by Alternating Current
$169.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™