Any one have the Pandigital Novel 7 Tablet?

caflowerluverNovember 19, 2011

I saw it on sale at Big Lots for $59 which seems like a really good price for a tablet. I know it is refurbished but I don't have a problem with that because it still has a 1 yr warranty.

This would be my first tablet but not sure if I really want it or not. What do you like and dislike about your Pandigital Novel?

Thanks.

Clare

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vala55

I like mine, haven't used any other, so haven't anything to compare it to. It is easy to use and I finally found a soft case that fits well along with the hard case Raven recommended.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 4:54PM
mike_kaiser_gw

There's an old Norwegian expression - TANSTAAFL. Loosely translated it means, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

In other words, you aren't going to buy a iPad for $59. Can you live with with something that isn't an iPad. Only you can decide...

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:03PM
caflowerluver

Vala55 - Thanks for your reply. I'm just not sure if I want it or not. LOL

Mike - I don't expect an iPad for that price. Another expression, "You get what you pay for." So I am well aware of what I am getting for that price. But I don't want to pay $500. And I don't need one with all those bells and whistles. It is just something to take with me on trips and to use when I can't get to the family computer.

Thanks everyone.
Clare

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:15PM
grandms

I have a Pandigital Novel, but I find it not a good substitute for a computer. It's a good e-reader, yes, but not a lot more. It just doesn't have the "guts" of better tablets. I love it as a reader, however.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:33PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

The one that is on sale at Big Lots for $59 is the BLACK 7", that is a very different unit than the white one that most of us have. The black one is not nearly as good as the white one, the version of android is not as updated either.

If you want it for a basic color ereader and to be able to do some surfing and check your email etc sure it will do that, wifi works fine, it will also run some android apps, you can view pictures, videos and play your music on it. So for a starter unit knowing it is not the hottest newest out there then it would be fine.
I think everyone would know it is not an ipad and a lot of us would not want it to be!!

I have the white pandigital novel 7" and have very much enjoyed it and I am sure you would enjoy one that only cost $59. As an ereader it is very good.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 10:14PM
DA_Mccoy

Not commenting, just reporting,

The December issue of Consumer Reports shares:

Rating Tablets 7-to 8- Inch Screen
Pandigital Nova 13th out of 13

E-Book Readers
Pandigital Novel models 18th, 19th, and 21st out of 21

If I can share any further info feel free to ask, or you might consider stopping at Lowe's for example and picking up an issue. They rated televisions, cameras, phones laptops, desktops, printers, "and more".

It is the season. HoHoHo!

DA

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 12:40PM
vala55

Here is something you might be interested in. It is a consumer's report on e readers. What they are, what they do, different types. For those of you thinking of getting might want to check this out. There are several pages, I am on the second page regarding "types".

Here is a link that might be useful: E Readers

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 12:56PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I will check out that link and read about the different ereaders.
Clare

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 1:01PM
vala55

That sight is one I will use again, the information is free, but you have to pay to subscribe and get ratings as I understand it.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 1:10PM
DA_Mccoy

The site is actually a companion to the publication, and an attempt by CR to stay viable in the publishing business. The method being used is called a "hook". You review the free limited information with the hope a viewer subscribes to the site, or the magazine for total access.

Just recently CR offered me a discounted publication subscription renewal along with a free gift subscription for anyone of my choice. And, this is not the first time one of my subscriptions has done this.

Right now on the desk next to my monitor is an offer from Smithsonian Magazine. They are offering me a reduced renewal, and two free gift subscriptions. The "hook" is being directed towards both myself, and in the future the new readers.

It is obvious to me the Internet is rapidly effecting the publication industry.

Finally for myself when I am spending money, as I did just recently on a new SS refrigerator and a SS range, I am more concerned as to the quality and reliability of the information rather than as to whether it is free or not. You get what you pay for as nothing is free in life.

DA

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 2:27PM
vala55

The information on that site is free and it is good info. It will help a person decide what they need or want.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 4:04PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Our public library offers free online access to a number of "research" resources including Consumer Reports.

None of the Pandgitals did very well in the latest Consumer Reports review and without looking I think the eInk version was near the very bottom. I do believe that they were reviewing the ereader capabilities and not treating them as a "tablet."

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 9:00PM
pfmastin

aptosca,
I ended up giving my Pandigital to my niece...it just wasn't for me. I had one of the early ones, though, and wasn't savvy enough to continually update and it seemed somewhat sluggish to me. However, if you're looking for a dedicated ereader. Amazon has a new kindle out for $79 that is also available at Best Buy. For something to take on your travels until you can get back to your home computer, may I suggest a notebook? It's amazing what's out there today...I'm sure you can find something that will fill your needs. Good luck and I hope you find just what you're looking for.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 9:09PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone for your replies. I decided not to get it. I want something that is a little better and faster. But I really don't need something with all the bells and whistles like the iPad and don't want to pay that price, so will have to do some more research.
Clare

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 1:25PM
DA_Mccoy

I finally had time to review the referred CR link.

The provided "hook" page of CR is limited to general product information and definitions both of which can readily be found on other sites as well. Is it informing? Yes. Is it overwhelmingly valuable? No.

To get to the meat and potatoes product assistance and recommendations it would require a subscription to the site or the magazine.

DA

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 2:16PM
kayjones

The current edition of CR is available at any library for free reading.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 5:24PM
acraftylady

I love my kindle fire. I have the fist version from last year. The best of both worlds. A nice e-reader and I can surf the net, watch movies and check my email and play games. It's about all I use in bed now and when traveling. I would love the new HD version with the big screen since I have been watching netflix on it a lot.

I first got an e-ink keyboard kindle with wifi and free 3g and love that also. The 3g allows me to download books in the car and not have to stop for a wifi connection. If you just want an e-reader then the kindle e-ink ones are great and simple. Mary

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Sponsored Products
Swan Shaped Himalayan Natural Salt Lamps With Dimmer Control
ParrotUncle
Aptations Extension Arm 9" Wide Italian Bronze Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Vitra | Suita Two Seater Sofa, Pointed Cushions with Headrest Section
YLiving.com
Dave Brown Leather Office Chair
Overstock.com
Foscarini | Tress Stilo Round Multipoint Pendant
YLighting