Tubular Potholder??

cciaffoneJuly 31, 2006

I do a LOT of cooking both with old cast iron skillets

and with newer Calphalon pans, all with nekked

metal handles that can get really, really HOT.

I have one (countem 1) old, antique, vintage tubular

pot holder. By which I mean, it fits nicely over the handle

of most metal-handled pans and is made of pot holder

material. It's open at one end so it slides on the

handle, but closed at the other end so it does not expose

the end of the handle to the heel of my hand.

My problem? Where can I find/buy/steal more of these??

Or, can you point me to a pattern and to pot holder


many thanks


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've seen these at Bed Bath and Beyond, go to their website and search for "hot handle"
Happy searching and shopping!

    Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 7:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you can sew or know someone who can, all you need to do is get some inexpensive quilted potholders, fold one edge over to the other edge and sew the long edges and one short edge, leaving the other short edge open to slip over the handle.

Don't bother sewing then trying to turn it inside out. Just sew up the edges as directed above.


    Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I got some a couple of years ago at the Chef's warehouse sale.

I am pretty sure the Chef's online catalog will have them too.

They would be real handy if I could find them when I needed them. I need to sew little hanging loops on them,, I guess.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I just came accross this while looking for a trash can. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: hot handle

    Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 12:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanx to all. After you gave me the name "Hot Handle,"
I was able to look in some stores. I found the lodge
version at World market cheap. While not as nicely
made as my antique, these look like they might do
the job.

but I will search out some quilted fabric to make some
better Hot Handles.

thanks again

    Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Beware. All of the qilted fabric I have seen at the fabric stores is filled with polyester fiber-fill. You would NOT not want to use that for picking up a hot pan. :)

    Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use removable silicone pot handle covers on some of my older pans. I've never tried them on an old fashioned cast-iron skillet, but they do fit -- and work -- on my other non-stay-cool metal handles. Better, I think, or at least safer, than a fabric tubular potholder. They also claim to be oven safe. I have many brands; they're cheap, and I got them all from restaurant supply stores. Here's a representative sample from Instawares - I don't have this brand, but there are many, many brands to choose from. Do a search at Instawares for "silicone pan handle."

Here is a link that might be useful: Medium Black Silicone Pan Handle.

    Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 9:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'd like to try those silicon handle holders. I ordered my standard ones from Amazon, made by Lodge, and they work, but when i left one all the way on while cooking, the end touching the pan caught fire!

    Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 10:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
Sponsored Products
Grohe Geneva Shower Arm & Flange - Oil Rubbed Bronze
Modern Bathroom
Lattice Swivel Armless Bar Stool, Dark Blue
Zuri Furniture
Charles Petite Wool Armchair in Dark Gray
$449.00 | LexMod
Slice Style Chair-Red - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Tubular Privacy Latch
Signature Hardware
Le Corbusier: Perriand Bench
Modern Classics Furniture
Luxembourg Stacking Side Chair - Set 4 - Fermob
$1,400.00 | HORNE
Kasper Semi-Flushmount by Eurofase
$392.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™