Shun knives - A set or buy separately?

labeilleJuly 25, 2006

Those who have the [Kershaw] Shun knives: Do you recommend buying a set or buying separately? You know, it seems easiest to buy a set, but I have never used a boning knife in my life. Heavens, I am too old to learn how to cut up a whole chicken. Sooo...what are your favorite and most often utilized Shun knives? And, who do you think has the best pricing on Shun sets or individual pieces? Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cike

I don't have Shun knives, but I think I would choose a set of what's considered the basics. If you have not had great knives before, you may find that cutting things up is such a pleasure with a good knife that you'll want to cut up a chicken after all.

C

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 1:53PM
sunnyco

I have always heard that it's best to buy seperately. You might save some money buying a set, but rarely do they have exactly what you would want, in which case you end up spending money on things you don't want.

And for the record, I have never used my boning knife on a chicken. I have used it one lots of pineapples though! It's great for cutting the outer part off, because it follows the curve easily. :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 9:45AM
cike

I see the "don't buy a set" recommendation for cookware, too, but I'm not sure that I buy into it as a blanket recommendation. It really depends on the set. I've purchased cookware sets several times and received a knive set once. I can't think of any pieces of either that I wouldn't use regularly. Well, maybe there is one: a small stainless steel fry pan which I used sometimes but not often because if I had something small to fry, it was usually better just to use a non-stick pan (I've got four kids, so if I was searing something, it usually needed on of my bigger pans).

I would suggest looking at the knife set to see what it comes with. A common set comes with only 3 or 4 of the most used knives in (almost) anyone's kitchen (usually some mix of chef's 10", chef's 8", boning, paring, bread, straight 8"). I think you'd be safe with something like that.

C

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 11:53PM
deanb

I agree with cike. I also see the "don't buy a set" recommendation for both knives and cookware and I think sets can be a great deal for both knives and cookware, especially if you're starting from scratch.

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Sponsored Products
Tatau Knife Block by Alessi
$159.00 | Lumens
Splash Chopping Board
$13.99 | zulily
Steinbach St. Nicholas German Nutcracker - Signed - NWG5-1656SIGN
$288.99 | Hayneedle
Knife Block
CliqStudios Cabinets
Knife Block
CliqStudios Cabinets
2012 Steinbach Signed Chubby Oktoberfest Mayor Beer Tapper German Nutcracker Mul
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Michael Graves Cheese Board by Alessi
$306.00 | Lumens
Set of 24 Cheese Papers
$14.95 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™