Hard-anodized cookware without non-stick coating or infusion

Katie123456July 9, 2013

Can anyone tell me why hard-anodized has become synonymous with nonstick? Why has plain old hard-anodized waned in popularity?

I'm not a fan of nonstick, and, IMO, hard-anodized is the best material for cookware. It's not as pretty as stainless, but it's much easier to cook with. It doesn't sear as well as cast iron, but it's lighter, non-reactive, and it heats more evenly.

The only non-nonstick option I'm aware of for hard-anodized cookware is Calphalon Commercial. It's not widely available. In fact, I wouldn't have known you could still get it, if I hadn't found it on this forum.

So what happend? Ten years ago, the primary choices for high-end cookware were stainless, hard-anodized and infused-anodized. Why did regular hard-anodized drop off that list?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Farbuncle

I agree with every thing you say about how good hard-anodized cook ware preforms and its a real joy to use.

However, I am a big, big fan of non-stick. Todays top quality cookware with non-stick is so easy to clean. I just wipe them down. I remember the days of Brillo pads and elbow grease after the Sunday roast. Never again.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:32PM
angiepangie

we got rid of all non stick cookware when we read the reports of harmful fumes at high temps. never, ever get your non stick cookware hot enough to smoke oil or brown meat.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:26PM
Katie123456

I understand why a person might want to use nonstick cookware.

What I don't understand is, why are the options for NON-nonstick so limited? It's difficult to find anything other than stainless.

Ten years ago, if you didn't want non-stick, it was easy to find uncoated hard-anodized aluminum. Which, to me at least, was the obvious choice. It sears better, and it's easier to clean than stainless. Why has the rest of the world stopped loving it?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:57PM
Farbuncle

Something like 90% of all aluminum pots and pans sold are non-stick. I don't think anyone stopped loving hard-anodized. They just started loving the ease of cleaning that non-stick provides.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Food Grinder
My hubs gave me the meat/food grinder attachment for...
mimijacobs
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™