Best Manicotti Tray?

gorilla_xJuly 4, 2007

I currently use a Mario Batali (porcelain enamel over cast-iron) lanagna tray. It's 13 x 9 x 3. Had two layers of manicotti, and still had more room for a thrid layer.

Problem is, the lowest layer flattend a little bit, as to be expected. Not a lot. So then I began to wonder if it'll be better to use a large sheet for 1 single layer.

Any ideas?

-G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairegold

I'd rather use a couple of large pyrex glass baking dishes. For the price of that Mario number, you can buy a bunch of Pyrex baking dishes!

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 7:03PM
gorilla_x

Thanks fairegold... but I had the Batali pan mainly for lasanga already, and tried it for manicotti. I suppose I could try several pyrex casserole trays, and single layer the manicotti.

-G

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 8:03PM
gardenlad

Hmmmmmm? I've never even thought of making manicotti in more than one layer. On the face of it, I would think that top layers would crush bottom layers. And proportionately, doesn't it take far too much sauce?

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 3:37PM
gorilla_x

gardenlad,

My parents and relatives always did 2 layers... probably because we are a big family and oven space was limited. Don't know it more sauce is needed with 2 layers.

-G

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 6:35PM
lindac

If I had one of those Batali cast iron porcelain baking dishes, I wouldn't care if the bottom layer of manicotti was a little flat!
Never had a single layer manacotti....
I would think 2 layers would need less sauce....but is more sauce a BAD thing?
I love that Mario Batali pan! Gave one to my son and his wife! Maybe should have kept it....
Linda C

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 11:05PM
gorilla_x

I've been planning on making manicotti for tonight's (Sunday) dinner for a week now, and did not want to double stack them... still did not buy a manicotti tray before today.

So today I went to Target and picked up two 9 x 13 stoneware lasanga trays (over 3" deep) for $12.99 each... it's the Bialetti brand. They look very nice (similar color as my Batali espresso lasanga pan), and I am guessing that they'll perform well too.

I had an assortment of pyrex/corningware on hand, but preferred two identical trays (in terms of material). I figure for $26 total, they're a good deal.

And at 3"+ deep, they are suitable for lasanga... so while I love my Batali pan, I am wondering if the $80 cost was worth it... oh well!

-G

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Sponsored Products
Asparagus Salt And Pepper Shakers
Classic Hostess
Hammock with Stand: Algoma Hammock Post
$76.99 | Hayneedle
Z Line Triana Desk and Bookcase
Beyond Stores
Contemporary Storage Ottoman with Tray
Overstock.com
Chrome 8 Round Rainshower Shower Head & Rectangular Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed