Best Manicotti Tray?

gorilla_xJuly 4, 2007

I currently use a Mario Batali (porcelain enamel over cast-iron) lanagna tray. It's 13 x 9 x 3. Had two layers of manicotti, and still had more room for a thrid layer.

Problem is, the lowest layer flattend a little bit, as to be expected. Not a lot. So then I began to wonder if it'll be better to use a large sheet for 1 single layer.

Any ideas?

-G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fairegold

I'd rather use a couple of large pyrex glass baking dishes. For the price of that Mario number, you can buy a bunch of Pyrex baking dishes!

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 7:03PM
gorilla_x

Thanks fairegold... but I had the Batali pan mainly for lasanga already, and tried it for manicotti. I suppose I could try several pyrex casserole trays, and single layer the manicotti.

-G

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 8:03PM
gardenlad

Hmmmmmm? I've never even thought of making manicotti in more than one layer. On the face of it, I would think that top layers would crush bottom layers. And proportionately, doesn't it take far too much sauce?

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 3:37PM
gorilla_x

gardenlad,

My parents and relatives always did 2 layers... probably because we are a big family and oven space was limited. Don't know it more sauce is needed with 2 layers.

-G

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 6:35PM
lindac

If I had one of those Batali cast iron porcelain baking dishes, I wouldn't care if the bottom layer of manicotti was a little flat!
Never had a single layer manacotti....
I would think 2 layers would need less sauce....but is more sauce a BAD thing?
I love that Mario Batali pan! Gave one to my son and his wife! Maybe should have kept it....
Linda C

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 11:05PM
gorilla_x

I've been planning on making manicotti for tonight's (Sunday) dinner for a week now, and did not want to double stack them... still did not buy a manicotti tray before today.

So today I went to Target and picked up two 9 x 13 stoneware lasanga trays (over 3" deep) for $12.99 each... it's the Bialetti brand. They look very nice (similar color as my Batali espresso lasanga pan), and I am guessing that they'll perform well too.

I had an assortment of pyrex/corningware on hand, but preferred two identical trays (in terms of material). I figure for $26 total, they're a good deal.

And at 3"+ deep, they are suitable for lasanga... so while I love my Batali pan, I am wondering if the $80 cost was worth it... oh well!

-G

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™