Report on the Piranha Peeler

danab_z9_laJune 5, 2009

I can assure you this is not SPAM.............just a friendly tip on a new cookware item find.

I recently purchased a "Piranha Peeler" made by Kuhn Rikon. It was claimed to peel peppers, peaches, and tomatoes without blanching. It looks like a regular potato peeler but it has serrated teeth for keeping the blade from slipping off smooth skins.

Well this new type peeler worked so well that I when back to Marshall's and purchased them for family and friends. It really does peel peppers, peaches, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, carrots, and potatoes like a dream. Try it and you will be amazed how easy it peels those fruit and vegetables. It also produces thin slices really fast.

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I have a couple of Kuhn Rikon gadgets, as well as a pressure cooker; they're good items.

BTW, not meaning to hijack the thread, but I took your advice on cast iron: used a Norton Rapid Strip wheel to smooth off the cooking surfaces of some new Lodge items. Got them to nearly a mirror finish. Used some grapeseed oil to season, and brought it to near the smoke point (couldn't do it in the oven: bringing it to 550 didn't do anything but make a sticky layer). Put it in the gas grill outdoors, and it made a slick and tough layer, nearly nonstick by itself but with a little grease when cooking it's really slick, and as dark black as obsidian. And you're right: the slickness DOES make a difference in the cooking. Seared a couple of pieces of beef filet--nice crust formation.

You da man, Dan!!

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Sponsored Products
Knife & Kitchen Tool 31-Piece Carousel Set
$59.99 | zulily
Bird Veggie Peeler
$7.99 | zulily
Lime Green Vegetable Peeler
$11.99 | zulily
Cubo Seven-Piece Kitchen Utensil Set
$49.99 | zulily
Black Peeler
$7.99 | zulily