fax machine

brownthumbiaNovember 15, 2012

Some time back I was thinking of getting a fax machine but someone said you could use your computer for doing the same thing. How do you do it with the computer? Thanks BT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Some windows sort of have fax built in... type Fax into your search box in win7 you might open a window like this... plug in a telephone wire into my laptop and use the internal dial up fax modem to send a fax, for the price of a phone call.

or you search yahoo for it.. there are online companies that do it. You can buy a fax machine pretty cheap too. But Fax is kind of a old fashioned deal .. when email is so simple.

What version of windows do you have.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:39PM
azinoh

If your computer has a fax modem you could fax a document directly from the computer, but most computers today don't come with them. I bought a printer which will print/copy/scan/fax, and it works pretty well. Mine is a HP Officejet 4500 and it comes with Windows software which simplifies the process somewhat. Probably has Mac software too but I don't know that for certain. Installing the PRINTER also installs a FAX PRINTER. When you want to fax a document, you scan it into the computer, then print it using the FAX PRINTER instead of the PRINTER and the fax software will start. Then you enter the fax phone number and away you go.

All of this depends on you having a plain old landline phone which is NOT VOIP...if you are using Vonage or phone service from your cable company I think you are out of luck. Fax usually does not work well over VOIP. HTH.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:46PM
azinoh

If your computer has a fax modem you could fax a document directly from the computer, but most computers today don't come with them. I bought a printer which will print/copy/scan/fax, and it works pretty well. Mine is a HP Officejet 4500 and it comes with Windows software which simplifies the process somewhat. Probably has Mac software too but I don't know that for certain. Installing the PRINTER also installs a FAX PRINTER. When you want to fax a document, you scan it into the computer, then print it using the FAX PRINTER instead of the PRINTER and the fax software will start. Then you enter the fax phone number and away you go.

All of this depends on you having a plain old landline phone which is NOT VOIP...if you are using Vonage or phone service from your cable company I think you are out of luck. Fax usually does not work well over VOIP. HTH.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™