refurbished knives

suska6184June 13, 2008

Now that my kitchen is essentially completed, I enjoy cooking more and realize it's long past the time for me to purchase new knives. I have not done alot of homework on this major purchase yet, but something in the newspaper caught my eye. A local store specializing in knives and sharpening of all kinds is having a sale on Wustof Culinar knives and the prices do seem tempting, but the ad says they are refurbished. I never heard of a store selling these (they of course carry all of them new, also) but since this particular line is not very old, where on earth would these knives be coming from?

Yes, I understand the importance of handling them before purchase to be sure they feel right, but since this is a store and not an on-line deal, that part is no problem. What I'm wondering, is this even worth looking at, in your opinion? Since they have a life-time guarantee, what am I short changing myself on, by making such a purchase?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe_blowe

"I never heard of a store selling these (they of course carry all of them new, also) but since this particular line is not very old, where on earth would these knives be coming from?"

They're probably customer returns to stores (online or otherwise). They've probably have had minimal handling, and depending on the price it could be a very good deal.

BUT, as you mentioned, you should handle them to make sure they're comfortable, and you should realize that lower-end knife sets contain some compromises.

Only you can decide if this deal is right for you...

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 9:35PM
suska6184

Joe, you consider those to be lower end knives? Wow, and I thought this purchase would last me until the nursing home in a few decades...

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 1:28AM
deanb

I'd take a look at the knives. Wusthof Culinar is hardly a lower-end brand. This is one of Wusthof's top lines. If you maintain them and care for them properly they will indeed last you for many decades.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™