Ah, the good 'ol days of asbestos lined hot pan holders...

sunnycoMay 6, 2005

When I was a kid, my grandma had (prolly still does) these thin little hot pan holders (squares and mitts) that had advertisments on them, and the great thing about them was that THEY WORKED. She washed them in the sink now and again and they looked awful but now I understand why she held on to them (besides being a person who lived through the depression). Well, they don't make them like that any more, because they had asbestos linings.

I keep buying these nice, thick mitts at the restaurant supply, and they seem to get thin on the important parts in hardly any time at all. I imagine in a restaurant setting, they would be almost disposable!

Where can I get some mitts that can be washed, and will last? I am sick of getting burned.

The only holder I have that seemse to last is one pampered chef one that I got at a garage sale, but it is not a mitt, and I would like mitts, since I tend to bump the top of my hands on the racks.

Any suggestions?

Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chitownfifi

I have a great suggestion for you!

I got something called Duncan's Kitchen Grips at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are alomst like wet suit material. They are top shelf dishwasher safe too! I wash them in the sink all of the time...they're great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Grips

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 12:44AM
lindac

They now have silicone mitts...
I hate mitts...I drop stuff and put my mitted thumb into the casserole etc...
I most often use that kitchen towel that is perennially on my shoulder.
Kinda C

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 10:52AM
dayenu

the silicon mitts are awesome. one brand is called ORCA
you can put your hands in boiling water with them on, yep i tried. do not try this at home. and they wash in the dishwasher, never staining.

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 11:27AM
homepro01

I use Leather oven mitts. I find the silicone unforgiving in molding to what I want. Leather works great and can be washed easily.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 10:19PM
sunnyco

Do the leather ones have any padding? Where do you find them?

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 10:43AM
claire_de_luna

sunnyco, I use the LamsonSharp leather Handiholders and I love them. They are flexible, yet keep the heat off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather potholders

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 11:55AM
homepro01

Mine are similar to Claire's. I get them from Dean and Deluca for about $10 each. They are not padded but leather does not conduct heat well. I have seen the gloves at WS for about $26.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 11:37PM
ellen76

I learned the hard way to never buy potholders (or indeed, anything that might suffer hidden losses to quality in exchange for a cheap price) from Walmart. I saved a dollar or two on the potholders, but spent it all on burn ointment! Since then, I get all my oven mitts from Williams Sonoma. They last a long time and the surface is washable. Eventually, I toss them and get a new pair, like every 15 years or so!

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 1:22AM
mustangs81

I am going to try the leather. I replaced all of my "old-fashion" pot holders with the silicon squares thinking that I was on the cutting edge. I don't like them! As Homepro says, they are unforgiving and don't mold well. Also, when doing high heat roasting they don't provide need heat protection.

Bookmark   May 17, 2005 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™