Clear lids ?

jsfoxMay 1, 2013

We're getting some new cookware for our Cabin. My wife is leaning towards a Cuisinart Master Chef set. One concern is the clear lids on everything. I seem to remember some variety of reasons people steered away from these but can't remember. Cracking? Get permanently fogged/scratched? Cause problems with cooking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog

I have two sauce pans with clear lids, not an entire set. I've never had a problem and they are used all the time. Sort of my 'go to' pots for rice, reheating soups, bbq sauce, etc. I am often muti-tasking when they are in use so it is nice to glance over and see what stage the cooking is in without lifting a lid. One is Calphalon all stainless and the other we picked up at a yardsale for 5 bucks. It is Emeril, not sure who makes those. I had the same concern but did not pay much for either one.
Picked up an inexpensive small stockpot for my husbands 'no kneed' bread and it goes into a 475 oven once a week. (he can check the bread quickly through the clear lid) . Enameled cast iron is recommended for the bread but we found the bottom gets over-cooked and too crusty.
Maybe the lid handles get too hot? I have wine corks in all my handles to prevent that and they go through the dishwasher fine.
I took my overflow of old traditional Calphalon, the grey stuff, to my vacation home since we don't have a dishwasher there.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
dccnm
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 46021/3 Cheltham 3 Light Pendant in Mocha
Beyond Stores
Cattelan Italia | Spyder Round Dining Table, 55-Inch
YLiving.com
Rustic Style Pendant Light with Goblet Shape Clear Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Leila Gold Designer Off-White Shade Plug-In Swag Chandelier
Lamps Plus
WAC Modern Forms | Structure 11in Outdoor Wall Light
$259.00 | YLighting