wok seasoning question

jefdMay 18, 2005

I recently tried out my new wok for the first time. I got it from The Wok Shop, and seasoned it using one of their recommended methods; which involved repeatedly coating the inside with oil and baking it for 20 minutes at 450F. This seemed to work well, as the wok ended up with the brown coating that was described in the seasoning instructions. When I used it the first time, it worked great, although there was perhaps a bit more sticking than I would hope for in the long term. After I was done though, I noticed that the stainless steel spatula I used removed the seasoning in a few places. Is this to be expected? If so, will that stop happening as the seasoning builds up with use?

Thanks in advance for your insightful answers!

jefd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Don't use stainless steal as tossers....use bamboo or wood...or even silicone. Metal will scratch the seasoning off...
And never use soap....just hot water and a paper towel....or scrub with salt if something nasty is sticking.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 3:45PM
jefd

LindaC,

That's a little confusing; all the pictures I see of Chinese chefs stir-frying show them with steel spatulas. How are they getting away with that?

jefd

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 5:04PM
claire_de_luna

jefd, Let me jump in here if I may. A professional chef will have a very well seasoned wok which will be virtually non-stick. Since your wok is new, the seasoning is just beginning to develop, and probably isn't thick enough yet to withstand a heavy amount of scraping. I have a cast iron wok that I use a SS spautla on which works quite well, but I've had some time for it to develop, and it's not as smooth as a carbon steel wok. I also had to season my wok several times before food quit sticking altogether. (If you plan to fry something in several cups of oil, it helps season the wok more quickly.) Also, remember to heat your wok first, then pour in the oil cold, which helps keep food from sticking. Enjoy your new cookware; I love my wok and it gets used quite often!

(FWIW, I love the Wok Shop; I got my ironwood chopping block there.)

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 1:22PM
jefd

Claire de Luna,

Thanks, that's useful to hear. I think I'll plan on some supplemental seasoning after cooking.

jefd

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Sponsored Products
Slender Ivy Slender Cone in Holiday Wrap with Bow
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Campania International Seasons Outdoor Fountain - FT-235 - NATURAL
$809.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Renaissance Aubergine 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Modern Fan Company | Pharos Ceiling Fan
$436.00 | YLighting
All-season Down Alternative Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Self Adhesive Address Numbers
Signature Hardware
Grand Luxe Egyptian Cotton Sateen 300 Thread Count 4-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Fashion Taupe/Silver
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™