Testing a crock pot

catherinetMay 24, 2005

Hi all,

I got a big crockpot for a wedding present 20 years ago. I haven't used it for about 16 years. I am going to use it for a big party I'm having this weekend. It has a removable ceramic bowl. I thought I'd better test it, to make sure it's working. I put a couple inches of water in it, and turned it on high for about 45 minutes, then low for about 15, and the outside of the crockpot was incredibly hot, but the water was still cold. Maybe water doesn't work well for this test? I just don't want to rely on it, and then have it not work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
photobob

I have an ancient (20+ yrs) crock pot as well. The outside "can" is light guage metal with embedded heating coils, and the crock is a very heavy ceramic, well, crock. The coils heat up and eventually heat the crock to cooking temperature. Not real effecient to heat up, takes a long time, but once heated, the crock stays hot for quite a while.

If yours is the same, I'd think it's fine to use if the outside is heating. Just remember that you need to plan ahead for the "lead time" you'll need to get it heated up.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 11:25AM
catherinet

Thanks Photobob!

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 10:23PM
woodie2

Hi Catherine, its me!

I think your crockpot will work just fine. I don't think 45 minutes with water in it is a great test. They need several hours to really get rolling, especially the old ones like yours which cook at a much slower heat. I bought an old one (70's) for $3.00 at a thrift shop last year and it works great.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 11:00PM
blondelle

Here is a link for testing your crock pot and also some info on crock pot safety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crock-Pot Safety

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 1:03PM
catherinet

Thanks Woodie and blondelle!
Blondelle......I did an internet search for testing a crockpot and didn't find anything as useful and informative as the link you gave. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™