KA Ice Cream attachment vs. Stand alone maker?

lilathabitMay 4, 2008

The kids have expressed interest in ice cream making. Who am I to stand in their way? ;)

Which should I go with?

I can't see how the KA bowl would save any more space than a modest size stand alone maker, unless you can fit the bowl inside of another one for storage.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arandygail

I will be really interested to see the responses to this posting. A month or so ago, I posted a similar question on the cooking forum. Most responders loved the KA attachment. I bought one but had really poor results. I followed the directions to a T, but my ice cream never got solid. It was more like a runny soup. I had the same experience a few years ago with an ice cream maker that used the frozen bowl method.

The "old-fashioned" ice cream maker is a pain with the ice and salt, but it definitely gives me the best results.

Gail

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karmicrevival

I have the cuisinart stand-alone.. 2 quart size -- and I love it. To get good results you MUST:

1) freeze the drum/tub SOLID for 12 - 15 hours
2) chill ALL of the ingredients you are going to use prior to making the ice cream or sorbet
3) the ice cream does not come out solid -- it comes out with a nice semi-soft texture.. if you want it more solid, pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so.
4) do NOT take the drum out of the freezer until you are completely ready to add the ingredients.

In the long run you'll find making sorbets to be much quicker/easier.. I make them several times a week (I make a half gallon of simple syrup at a time and keep it chilled in the fridge - I also keep the drum in the freezer unless I am in the process of making the sorbet).

I have had no problems with soupy or bad textured sorbets or ice creams.

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™