New cast iron

dmloveMay 28, 2007

I need to get a plain-old cast iron flat bottom (not ridged) skillet. Other than searching for an old one on ebay (Griswold, Wagner etc.), is there a difference among the current variety - Lodge (made in America), Chefmate (at Target, but made in China)? I saw Emeril cast iron yesterday at BB&B and the inside felt very rough to me, but maybe the others do, too? What is your suggestion -- this will be my first ever cast iron piece (besides my enamled LeCreuset Dutch Oven).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bryansda

You might want to try some second hand stores or flea markets for a good old skillet. The old ones seem better than some of the newer ones.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 5:47PM
deb18

The new ones are all rough, but they get better and better as you use them. I recently bought an Emeril cast iron dutch oven that was pre-seasoned. I seasoned it a couple of times anyway and have cooked in it four times and it already seems a little smoother.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 8:50PM
dmlove

I ended up getting a small Lodge skillet and used it for the first time tonight to make chicken cutlets. It is AWESOME! I used about 1 Tbsp oil, and it was too muchNext question - I don't have a "stiff brush" to clean it with. Tonight I just used water and a Dobie pad. What kind of brush should I get -- what are the bristles made of?

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 11:17PM
awm03

Oh cool, dmlove! What size skillet did you get? So glad you're happy with your Lodge skillet -- I know you've been thinking about this for a long time.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 9:17PM
dmlove

I got a small one - the 10-1/2". I used it last night for chicken cutlets, and tonight my daughter made herself a quesadilla and then I sauteed prawns in it (all I did was wipe it out with a paper towel in between). Seriously, I don't know how I did without one all these years!

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 11:28PM
findabargin

There's a cookware company called Fancy Cook that sells enamel cast iron for a really good price I got a enamel cast iron 10" skillet for $28.00 which Le Crueset sells for $99 and the good thing about this company is that they have it in 10 vibrant colors, so check them out at fancycook.com and also the quality of their cookware is just as good as Le Crueset you wont be disappointed.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 4:06AM
More Discussions
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™