Tramontina enameled cast iron

debd18May 15, 2007

I see that Walmart has this at very reasonable prices and since the ss Tramontina seems to be well-liked, I wondered whether anyone has tried these. If so, are they holding up well, or chipping like some of the cheaper brands do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsmarv

I created a link in this forum a few weeks back (see below). I purchased the Tramontina braiser at WalMart and used it about a week later to make hunter's chicken. I'm sorry to report that after cooking on the stovetop, the exterior enamel dulled considerably. It also became "splotchy" and discolored in areas, as well. Thinking it was residue from the cooking gas, I cleaned it using the same method I use for my other enameled cast iron, no abrasive cleaners, just a Dobie scrub pad with liquid detergent. It didn't help, so I returned it hoping it was just that particular piece. Having the interior discolor due to cooking doesn't bother me, but I think the discoloration is from a defect in the application or firing of the enamel. I exchanged it for another one, used it again, and the same thing happened. Sigh. I have other inexpensive enameled cast iron and have never had this happen. Would love to hear if anyone else ran into this problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look what followed me home...

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 12:50PM
debd18

Well, I'm glad I asked before buying. I think I'll pass on it and wait for something better to go on sale. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 4:50PM
awm03

Mrsmarv, I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for the follow up.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 8:07PM
becky_jean

I bought the Chefsmate enameled cast iron dutch oven from Target a year ago for $40. I use it a lot, mostly on the stove top. It's still a pretty, shiney blue. I understand they are hard to find & you just have to keep going to Target until they get them. Lately, our Target has had the red ones again (past 4 weeks).

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 2:35PM
marleesmom

I also purchased an enameled cast iron piece at Wal Mart recently but mine is made by Lodge and is called "Lodge Colors". It is similar in size and shape to yours. I have used it quite a bit already and the outside has not discolored, but I am also cooking on a smooth top range so maybe the gas flame is causing your trouble. The price sure was right!

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™