Domain Name Expired

margaretohNovember 16, 2012

My husband created a website for my church about 10 years ago. The domain name was from Network Solutions. Husband Joe died five years ago and evidently the domain name is buried with him. At least for purposes of the church. Another person took over the maintenance of the site. As of 11-11-12 the domain name has expired and the site is no longer online. I do not have a record of his password. Is there any way that the church can get this name back? Thanks. From what I've read online, I'm not thinking positively!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
not2bright

I don't know enough about these things to be of much help, but until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I might suggest going to the Network Solutions site (or some other registrar like Namecheap.com) and searching for the site name (without the '.com' or '.net' ending) and see if it's available. If so, you can simply re-purchase it.

If not, you may be able to do a "whois" search and see if someone else has purchased it in the amount of time it was expired. If so, you may be out of luck. :-(

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 11:46AM
owbist

I would type the address in trying to access the site, this would/should either bring up who (if anyone) has the domain name now or an offer to register it. Do not register there (I would not at least) but go to whoever was hosting the site (Network Solutions?) and ask questions and explain the situation. Should be a fairly straightforward and easy solution. You want the site registered and updated, they want the revenue.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 1:43PM
margaretoh

Thank you Not2 and owbist. I have done those things, learned some things and sent on the information. At least it does sound hopeful now.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™