Food Saver Vacuum Sealer - Plastic Taste

feelingsassyApril 26, 2009

We have a food saver vacuum sealer and we love how it saves food and keeps things fresh except for one thing. We always have an awful plastic taste in the food. Meat seems to be worse than some things, but breads aren't much better. Fruit I don't notice, but lasagana and the likes also have a slight plastic taste. It doesn't seem to be age, anything over 2 weeks seems to be fair game for this bad taste. Is it the brand of bag? Does anyone else have this problem? If you have how did you resolve it? Any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe_blowe

I only use FoodSaver-brand bags with my FoodSaver, and haven't noticed any off-flavors.

What brand are you using? Does everyone in the family notice it?

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 1:16AM
momj47

Do you reheat the food in the bags? I think I always removed the food from the bags and reheated on plates. I don't recall a plastic taste.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 7:17AM
nancylouise_gw

Have had the Food Saver for many years, never had a plastic or off taste to our foods. Have also dropped bags in boiling water to cook, no off taste there either. Sorry can't help with this one. NancyLouise

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 8:15AM
feelingsassy

I only use the food saver brand bags and i have never tried to reheat anything in them. Also, I'm not the only one in the family who notices the off taste. Perhaps the bags are too old? I would say around 8 years old? Maybe I should just buy some new bags to go with it and see where that gets me. Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™