Cookware choice Stainless Steel good set!

diniegApril 4, 2011

I keep a kosher home and need 2 sets of cookware. I have All-clad for meat section(very happy). I now need a new one for Dairy (pasta, sauces, soup). I do a fair amount of cooking and dont mind spending. I want a great quality and dont want to buy another one for a long time. I have a gas stovetop. Stainless steel is my preference. Please help! there is so much out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
djg1

Maybe just a different line of All-clad so that you have some sort of visual cue to differentiate the dairy set? The brushed exterior? The black (Ltd2)?

If you don't have a strong preference for US manufacture, you might look at the Calphalon tri-ply. I have a couple of pieces and they seem pretty good.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 8:28AM
dinieg

I do want them to look difference as not to mix them up. I was looking in to Calphalon. whats the diffence with the tri-ply and the Calphalon Contemperay set?

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:23PM
ntt_hou

The Calphalon tri-ply and Contemporary set different in the design and finish (one is glossy, the other is brushed). Both designs, however, are still made of tri-ply material (alumninum core with SS outside layers) throughout the pots/pans. Don't be confused with their Simply Calphalon cookwares. The tri-ply material is only located at the bottom of the pots/pans.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 7:17PM
ntt_hou

I forgot to mention that the Calphalon Contemporary cookware has a slightly convex bottom. It's not suitable for induction. Whereas, the Calphalon triply SS cookware has a flat bottom and it is made for induction as well.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 7:40PM
dinieg

you are saying that between those 2 there is not much of a difference? so why is the tri-ply 100$ cheaper ?

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 1:15PM
ntt_hou

No, they're not exactly the same. The Contemporary triply SS is more popular than the triply glossy SS. Therefore, the tri-ply glossy SS is cheaper. It's what we call Consumer Demand.

Let me compare the 2 Calphalon sets again for you.

Similarities:

- Both are made of triply on the base and the sides.
- Both have glass lids.
- Both are oven safe up to 700F degree and 450F degree for the glass lids.

Differences:

- The designs of both are different.
- Besides the shapes, the Contemporary has a brushed stainless steel finish. Whereas, the triply SS has a glossy stainless steel finish.
- The Contemporary has a convex bottom which is not suitable for induction. The glossy SS has a flat bottom, good for using on induction cooktop.

I do own both styles. Since I don't have induction cooktop, my preference of course was the Contemporary set for its style. I have the whole set of the Contemporary triply SS. Later, I stumbled upon some individual pieces of the glossy triply SS. The prices were too good to pass and they were in the size that I need and use often.

If you're still unclear, you can email to Calphalon for questions. They're actually pretty good in sending reply within 24 hours (weekdays).

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™