Which digital kitchen scale?

fatlesterApril 17, 2005

After 30 years, my wonderful small Cuisinart balance scale gave out and the Terrallion 5-pound scale (same age) got heat stroke so the top no longer fits.

And given my aging eyes, I think a digi scale with a big readout is a good idea for Mother's Day!

So, those with digi scales, what's important? Which brands are great?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pkguy

I recently bought a Polder digital kitchen scale, very smart looking and it has a built in timer and a built in removeable meat/oven thermometer. Also can be set for grams or pounds/ounces

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 6:09PM
claire_de_luna

Jane, I think this one would look great in your kitchen...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soehnle Digital Kitchen Scale

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 10:17PM
fatlester

Claire -- You are truly a mind reader! I had seen that very scale, and was considering it, but couldn't remember the brand name. Thank you so much. Just perfect.

Bookmark   April 20, 2005 at 9:07AM
pkguy

I've seen that same Soehnle scale and it is indeed very nice. My Polder is somwhat similar with the glass top and curved base. I have a Soehnle digital bathroom scale for years now and it's very well made and bang on accurate with my doctors big balance scale.

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 3:50AM
ann_t

I bought a new one recently. A Salter Electronic Aquatronic. Great if you like to bake. I had an older Salter that still works but this one had a few more options which I liked. You can weigh both liquids (fluid Oz) as well as dry, and it adjusts from Kilograms to ounces.

Ann

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 12:45PM
fairegold

Ann, I have that same Salter and it is perfect! I put mine into a ziplock bag, and I use it with the bag on it. Keeps it perfectly clean and I can put messy things on it. Works like a charm.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 12:49AM
ann_t

Ohh great idea Helene. I'll have to give that a try.

Ann

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 11:20AM
courcelles

I am pretty sure that Cook's Illustrated did a comparative evaluation sometime in the past couple of years of various kitchen scales. I'll look through my collection in the next few days, if I can, and try to find it.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 10:27PM
jhart3

Soehnle.. the Attache Digital Food Scale is one of my favorites, but they are all very high quality items.

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 9:40PM
fauxme

I have a Salter model number 6055 that I love. What I like (besides the looks) is that it weighs in 1 gram increments and weighs up to 11 lbs. This makes it great for salt to bulk bread dough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salter model 6055

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 6:16PM
fauxme

I forgot to add that my old eyes can read the digital display without my glasses. That's a biggie!!

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 6:19PM
torontoontario

I got my scale from a Laboratory supply catalogue. I work in the food manufacturing industry and these are the scales used in food labs. I am in Canada and ordered mine from Canada Wide Scientific. It has a tare button, so you could put your bowl on first, press tare to zero out the weight of the bowl and then measure the ingredients. It's a great no mess way to measure butter.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
Stainless Cookware cleaning - again... :
Hi all, IÂve read a lot of posts on how to clean stainless...
wazatron
which cookware to choose?
hi. i just joined the forum today. we're a newly wedded...
doduhdew
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™