Bridge Kitchenware cast aluminum griddle

melissastarApril 8, 2011

I've been looking around for a two burner griddle to use with my new Capital Range and reading a lot of comments on this site and elsewhere about cast iron vs. nonstick. A couple of folks have spoken highly of their UNcoated cast aluminum griddles...much of the advantages of cast iron without the weight and a more even heat distribution. Unfortunately, on all the older posts I found, the particular versions recommended are apparently no longer available.

I did, however, find an uncoated cast aluminum griddle available from Bridge Kitchenware. It looks good...large, no big handles sticking up and no non-stick coating (instead the cast aluminum gets seasoned much the same as cast iron).

I'm wondering if anyone has one and comment on it before I plunk down the $60 odd bucks for it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissastar

sorry, my brain isn't yet engaged for the day

Here is a link that might be useful: bridge kitchenware cast aluminum griddle

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 11:15AM
antiquesilver

I don't have one of these - but now I know where to get it - but everything I've bought from Bridge has been exactly as advertised & of exceptional quality. I don't know who makes it but if they've put their name on it, that's another good sign.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 2:40PM
danab_z9_la

Yep, this griddle will definitely season just like cast iron.

The fact that this griddle is made out of "cast" (i.e. hot molten metal poured into a sand casting) rather than rolled or stamped aluminum sheet metal will allow this griddle to conduct heat more evenly across the piece just like "cast" iron griddles do. Its cooking performance will be close to that of cast iron. Regular aluminum does not conduct the heat as uniformly as does CAST aluminum. Cast aluminum dutch ovens likewise will conduct heat all the way UP THE SIDES of the pot just like a cast iron dutch oven will do. Aluminum stock pots made out of stamped aluminum do not conduct much heat up the side of the pot. Therefore cooking performance is different between one that is cast formed and one that is stamp formed.

I have used a cast aluminum griddle made by Magnalite and know firsthand that it is a high quality aluminum alloy. I am not at all familiar with this particular brand. It does look like it a well designed griddle. Light weight and never will rust......just don't ever put it in the dishwasher. Also, never let it soak for too long (overnight) in a soapy solution.....this can cause pitting to occur. Many people have small pits in their cast aluminum Magnalite cookware simply because they let it soak overnight in soapy water. Soapy water is alkaline and causes what is known as "hydrogen blistering" to occur and that is the precursor to those aluminum pits....so, no soapy soaking or runs thru the dishwasher.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 10:20PM
alexrander

I think this griddle is made by Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry. They market one that is non stick called the Chef's Design- maxi griddle- #3230. It looks identical only with a coating. Same size.

http://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/Product-Detail.asp?hProduct=15

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 1:25AM
melissastar

I actually ended up getting it a few weeks ago. Seasoned it by coating lightly with oil and putting it in a 250 degree oven for 2 hours, then turning the oven off. I did that 3 times over 2 days. It now makes perfect pancakes. I love it.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
Sponsored Products
Logico Micro Quadruple Nested Semi-Flushmount by Artemide
$1,575.00 | Lumens
Garden Bridge Decoration
Overstock.com
Henri Studio Little Millstone Fountain
Lamps Plus
Soup Tureen with Ladle - WHITE
$360.00 | Horchow
Lithonia Lighting Flood Lights. Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze LED Floodlight with Mo
Home Depot
E27 7W 1680LM 42LED SMD 5730 LED Corn Bulb
$7.95 | ParrotUncle
Castle Large Black Outdoor Hanging Lantern
$583.00 | Bellacor
Zaneen | Mini Rondo Wall or Ceiling Light
$171.20 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™