Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person

yauponNovember 27, 2012

I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel range in the near future, and was wondering which brand might be good for someone who is short.

On Thanksgiving, I cooked on a friend's Kitchen Aid gas cooktop, and the height of the grates made the pans higher than was comfortable for me to see into easily. When I mashed the potatoes on the cooktop, it was difficult to work, as well.

Now when I look at the ranges/cooktops, I notice that many of them have very high grates. On some of them that have lower grates, there is often a panel of knobs that sticks out pretty far that would, again, make it difficult for a short person to easily stir/see into high pots on the back burners.

I would love some advice on what works for others.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

All grates on a gas cooktop or range will be higher than the counter. It's a safety thing. They cannot be lower than the counter.

So, if you are short, plan a run of counter with a cooktop instead of a range at less than the standard 36" high with a wall oven elsewhere. Just be aware that you would be personalizing your kitchen to your tastes and that a negative impact come resale might result from doing that.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 8:30AM
lajeme

I am so surprised at how high my new gas range is, and I am 5'7", not that short. I cant even stir holding the handle of my spoon in a normal position. It is so weird. This is the only post I see anywhere and I am cant believe this writer and I are the only ones! I am thinking of trying to take all the legs off.

Bookmark   last Saturday at 1:04AM
jwvideo

+1 for what greendesigns said about getting a cooktop in a lower countertop.

lajme --

The problems with taking the adjusting feet off a range will be: (a) you lose the ability to level your range; (b) you lose the anti-tip protection (which hooks over one of the adjusting feet at the rear of the range); (c) pro-style ranges need legs and the sides not designed to sit directly on the floor; and (d) on major brand ranges, removing the adjusting feet won't actually lower the range much because the adjusting feet usually are not very thick.

Might have better luck with a thick kitchen gel/antifatigue mat in front of the stove. IIRC, the WellnessMat brand are 3/4" thick which is about the same as what you'd gain by taking the feet off a standard range.

Bookmark   last Saturday at 10:57AM
lajeme

Great idea!!!

Bookmark   last Saturday at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
Anyone have experience with Ad Mark (eBay) appliance dealer?
Am considering buying Gagg induction cooktop + combi...
myniyer
Induction + Teppanyaki match?
Hi all, We are beginning our new build. Before we...
twobelles
Unnecessary drama with Miele dishwasher...
The salt/softener tank on my ten-year-old Miele Incognito...
howardgee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™