Floor tile for oven heating?

marys1000April 21, 2008

I've been noticing that people use ceramic tiles for cooking on sort of like a pizza stone. I'm not sure I have a desire to try this but.....here in another thread on pie it was mentioned that to get a nicely browned crust put a pizza stone below the pie plate for good heat and heat distribution, and that additionally you could put one above it (sort of sandwiching the pie) for nice even browning of the top crust. Now, rather than go out and buy two pizza stones, I thought it might be ok to go buy a few travertine floor tiles for this purpose?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

Unglazed quarry tiles (terracotta clay) are cheaper than travertine, I would think, and they work great for me. Less than $1 at Lowe's or Home Depot, takes only 6 to line my bottom oven rack. Do not place any tiles on the bottom surface of your oven. Wipe new tiles off to remove any dust, then gradually heat them up a few times to sort of temper them.

I baked pizza this past weekend on my tiles. Heated them in a 500F oven for about 30-45 minutes, then slid the pizza onto the tiles with a wooden pizza peel. Pizza baked in about 8 minutes.

Leave an inch or more of space around the outside area of the tiles for good air ciculation in the oven. I leave the tiles in the oven pretty much all the time.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:50AM
elisamcs

I purchased travertine tiles because I couldn't find the unglazed quarry tiles. I bought six 6inch square tiles for $2 each. They fit nicely on the oven rack and I get fabulous pizza on them!

I saw an episode of Good Eats and Alton Brown said to get a large drip tray that goes under the very large terra cotta pots.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 12:52PM
marys1000

The more I think about this the less I think I'm going to do it. You just don't know what all else when into making that terracotta or travertine for that matter. right?

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 3:12PM
azmom

Mary, I would not do it either.

I don't have enough background in Chemistry to assure me that it is safe to use items designed for none-food related purpose in my food preparation. Also, it is really not that costly even paying for a good pizza stone, especially if you will use it often for a long period of time.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 9:30AM
Bree2

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the baking tiles on the bottom of the oven when baking cakes in the middle of the oven? I wonder if this helps with even heat for cake baking, or would it dry out the cake too much?

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 2:55PM
Bree2

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the baking tiles on the bottom of the oven when baking cakes in the middle of the oven? I wonder if this helps with even heat for cake baking, or would it dry out the cake too much?

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™