Tabletop induction cooker question

madymo3dApril 26, 2011

I found a tabletop induction cooker at the thrift store few years ago for a good price. While I like using it to cook pasta, I have a hard time using it for anything else like cooking rice, stew or steak because despite all the temperature/power buttons, it seems to pulse full on and off as a way to control power. To me, cooking something at medium power is not the same as pulsing full power 50% of the time. So I figured it's one of 3 things:

1) The thing is partially broken, which is why the previous owner donated it (possible, who would want to donate a $100+ appliance if it still worked)

2) Being an older model, that was the technology at the time (I think most likely)

3) That's just how induction cookers work (I don't think this is the case)

Today I came across a good deal on a new tabletop induction cooker I'm debating buying, but I want to know that it doesn't have the same limitations as my current one. I want to ask if someone who has owned an induction cooktop from way back (say, mid '90s), was it pulsing on/off as a way of controlling power? And if I buy a new one today, will it be possible to cook stew and rice, ie, instead of pusling full on/off, it actually holds a some power level constant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Bump

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™