Korean cooking utensils

sallyjavalonApril 18, 2005


I am currently living in Korea and there are some neat cooking utensils that I will be bringing home with me.

First are small "casserole" type dishes, without lids, made out of a very very heavy pottery - stoneware?? Cooking at home or in small restaurants is almost always done over gas flame. These pots are put right on the burner, with liquid in them, then the ingredients for the soup or stew are added. liquid boils furiously for a few minutes, then the pot is taken off the flame, put on a heat proof fitted plate and served. The liquid continues to boil for several minutes from the retained heat, and the meal is piping hot down to the last mouthful.

There are similar bowls and plates made out of stone which are preheated before dry ingredients are put in. Again the retained heat keeps the meal piping hit.

The third implement is scissors! They use them for cutting up everything in the kitchen. Many meat dishes are thin - belly meat for instance. Hold it up with tongs and snip away. Looked weird at first, but oh so efficient. Just thought I would share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

And where might the rest of us unfortunates find products like these? Is there a web site?
Linda C

    Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I suspect any town big enough for a China town would have stores that sell such goods. I did a quick google search and came up with a site - http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-asian_cookware.asp

The earthen pots are most common. Stone ore soapstone are more expensive. Heavy beasts for shipping though.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 6:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I love the scissor thing! I used to have a great pair of "chicken scissors," for preparing stir fry. It's easiest to cut when the chicken is partway defrosted from frozen, and it works for any stir-fry meat. Now I'm wondering what else to use them on, if I replace that pair....

    Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have been searching for a Korean bulgogi cooking utensil. It looks like a hubcap with holes in it and is used for table top barbequeing with a gas grill or small charcoal holder. The solid edge catches all of the juices from the thinly sliced, marinated bulgogi style beef which is delicious over rice. There are many bulgogi marinades on the web but they just suggest grilling where all the wonderful juices would be lost. A friend brought me one from Korea but I have lost it. The koa site doesn't have it. Deirdre

    Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There's one on Amazon, about $25.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 4:36PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
Sponsored Products
Landmann 34 in. Gas Easy Access 2 Drawer Vertical Smoker - 3495GLA
$234.98 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic 53820-SL Dual Drawer - 20 x 14 - Left Hinge - 53820-SL
$582.25 | Hayneedle
Flat Server - SILVER
$220.00 | Horchow
Sunnydaze Fire Pit Spark Screen, Steel, 30 Inch Diameter
Sunnydaze Two-Tier Outdoor Floor Fountain, 41 Inch Tall
All-Clad 6-qt. Pasta Pot
$99.95 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™