Induction cooktop - glass edge an issue?

muppetmomNovember 6, 2013

We're choosing a 36" induction cooktop and have just about settled on Bosch, not sure about 500 vs 800 yet. But before we seal the deal, I was wondering about the susceptibility of the glass side edges to chips and cracks. Our ovens will be Wolf but we can save up to $1500 with a 500 series. The hob layouts are both good and the power differences don't add up to much for me. The fact that the Wolf's edges are completely surrounded seems like a better design for pots and pans being dragged onto the cooktop or anything dropped on the edge. Comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MFatt16

Listening in. I just bought a glass edge Thermador and was wondering the same thing. I wanted edge protection but the deal was too good to pass up on.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:01PM
kalapointer

Someone posted recently about a chipped corner on an induction cooktop. Hope this link helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenn Air chipped edge

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 4:40PM
burntfingers

Muppetmom, I have the Bosch 800 version with glass edges on the sides (aluminum strip top and bottom). No problems with chips.

HTH...

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 6:56PM
tl1969

Search for my post "Jenn Air induction chipped on corner - could it be a lemon" for background on this issue.

I replaced my all glass top for my induction with a stainless framed top after it had been in use less than a week!!

Fortunately, Jenn Air is going to reimburse me for the cost of the new top :-)

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 8:21PM
kaseki

Do not drag pans across the cooktop and avoid hitting the edges with pans or other kitchen objects. Gently settle or lift pans and you will avoid scratches and chips. I use hand-cut small circular silicone mats under pans to further minimize any damage. There are no scratches or edge chips on my Kenmore Elite (Electrolux Icon clone) induction cooktop Ceram surface, in use since 2008.

kas

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Bertazzoni gas range comprehensive review
So I've seen this question presented a few times, and...
jgopp
Need A New Keurig - Suggestions?
Our Keurig at the lake bit the dust. The single cup...
amck2
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
crl_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™