Wow, how lucky!! Chefmate cast iron enamel...

momto1March 28, 2007

I went to Target today to buy an Easter dress for dd and decided to check on their cookware to see if they had the enameled cast iron casserole in. Of course I wanted it in red in the worst way, but would have taken any color. So we turn the corner and there it was, just sitting there waiting for me. I was in Costco yesterday and just can't make myself spend $150 for the Le Crueset pan...can't do it. I've wanted one of these for the longest time and everyone said how impossible they are to find...guess they sell out right away because of the great reviews they got in Cook's Illustrated magazine. I got lucky!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southernorchidlover

After many months of searching, I too found the Chefmate pot. Although I've had it only two months, I have had nothing but good experiences with it. I have baked two loaves of no knead bread and countless dishes.

Now I am looking for a stainless steel knob that will tolerate high heat.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 10:05PM
momto1

Thanks southern,
I've heard some people say that they wrapped their knobs in aluminum foil and that seemed to protect them just fine. Just a thought, thanks for the feedback on the pot...

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 11:17PM
joe_blowe

FYI, the knob-wrapped-in-aluminum-foil trick is iffy at best, and downright noxious at the high temps required for no-knead bread baking.

The phenolic (plastic) portion of the knob is attached to the threaded metal sleeve with an adhesive that melts at high temps.

I tried the foil trick once, and then promptly went out and bought a cheap stainless knob at Home Depot (see link below). Approaching 30 loaves of no-knead bread at this point, and it's holding up beautifully...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 3:23PM
momto1

Thanks joe blowe,
I appreciate that info...I don't plan on making bread in my pot but apparently lots of people do! Your information is valuable.....

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 8:01PM
solarpowered

Le Creuset sells stainless steel knobs. I don't know if it will work for your pot, but it might be worth checking out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Creuset knob

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 12:33PM
southernorchidlover

Thanks for the tips for the stainless steel knob!

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 8:04PM
sharon_s

I got my red one right after the C.I. review came out. I look every time I'm at Target, but I haven't seen one since.

I just remove the knob when I do no-knead bread. I find that I can easily remove the lid with pot holders and the tiny hole doesn't affect the bread at all.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 2:05PM
mcgillicuddy

I'm so glad I found this thread! I picked up a red Chefmate at Target last week (there was just one, tucked away on a shelf) and was a little worried about melting the knob in the oven. I didn't think to just replace it with a metal knob (duh!).

Thanks for the idea!

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Sponsored Products
Canvas Sleeve Wine Rack
$64.99 | Dot & Bo
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 63.5 in. Bronze Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
White Butterfly Garden Salad Plate - MULTI COLORS
$36.00 | Horchow
Lunar All-Weather Wicker Conversation Set - Seats 4 - EEI-619-EXP-WHI-SET
Hayneedle
Ansmith Collection 42" Wide Oval Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus