cleaning older (not nonstick) scanpans

lisa51417March 2, 2007

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning the original scanpans? I just checked on their website and they helpfully said that with regular rinsing immediately after use the pans will not get dirty -- but, that when they do get discolored there's basically nothing to be done about it.

If this is, in fact, correct, I'm prepared to live with it. But if anyone out there has tried anything else (oven cleaner, perhaps?) I'd like to know. I already tried boiling water with dish soap and scrubbing with an SOS pad, and neither one took off the discoloration in the inside of the pan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joan41

I just came across this tip today, not sure if it will work on your scanpans:

"....Here's the Cream of Clean. To clean and polish aluminum pots and pans simply fill them with water, add two tablespoons cream of tarter. Boil for 5-10 minutes, then wash and dry as usual. You won't believe your eyes!"

I've been researching aluminum pans and I found a new set of Club Aluminum I intend to buy. I prefer non-stick but after you use aluminum (I have some OLD Wagner ware)it develops a patina that I don't mind at all.

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa51417

Thanks, Joan. I'll try it as soon as I can get ahold of some cream of tartar. I know what you mean about the patina (it developed on our Calphalon pans) but these ScanPans have more of a pattern of dark and light spots. I'm intending on putting them in a nightly rental unit, so I'd like them to look good, at least at first!

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™