Crate & Barrel plastic dishware

msazadiMarch 23, 2005

I just bought some of these at the C&B outlet in VA, and once home saw that the plates say Top Rack only for the dishwasher, and no microwave.

Now I suspect my dh would eventually use them in the micro, but we certainly can't adjust our current dishwasher to put full size plates in the top.

I plan to return the whole lot but has anyone used any of C&B's plastic ware? with what results? Plates were dirt cheap ($1.50 and 95cents) but...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lowspark

Don't have any experience with these but I'm with you. Dishes must be MW safe or they don't belong in my house. And although I do have a few special serving pieces which I don't put in the DW, everyday dinnerplates have to go in there.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 1:20PM
cheryl444

I have melamine plates (not plastic) from Crate & Barrel. They too say top-rack DW only and no microwave. However, I've often put them in the bottom rack of the DW and I use them in the microwave all the time. They've held up perfectly, although who knows, maybe microwaving them allows chemicals to get into the food? Not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B Melamine Plates

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 1:29PM
talley_sue_nyc

Usually when they say "top rack only" they mean "it'll melt or soften when the heating coil goes on to dry the dishes."

Since I never use that feature (not even sure my new DW has it), but always use "no-heat dry," I can put ANYTHING on the bottom rack.

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 1:53PM
msazadi

Well, I guess you all are talking me into keeping them. While I'd LOVE to go back to the outlet soon cause they have sooooo many desirable good deals, I really don't NEED to.

(For anyone in the greater DC area, they have chartreuse and cobalt dishes and glasses that are gorgeous, but just not my house or garden colors)

Bookmark   March 23, 2005 at 2:46PM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

Anything melamine heats up super hot in the microwave. Beware!

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 6:16AM
More Discussions
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™