Help with home exterior!

buchanajOctober 20, 2012

I need some serious help picking brick and stone for our house. We are building a house that looks kind of like this house.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4724-S-168th-East-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74134/89349861_zpid/

All our gables will come to a peak and the roof won't stick out over the garage. The front of the garage will be flush with the gable and will go straight up to a peak. We had originally thought we'd do just stone on the entry and brick everywhere else. However, last night DH and I were experimenting with putting stone on the garage section to balance it a bit.

So, I need some help not only figuring out where to put brick and stone but what brick and stone would look best. Im doing a carriage style garage door and I really like the look of dark browm for the shutters and garage. Beyond that, I'm stuck.

I'm on the iPad and opulent figure out how to get a picture in the post so my apologies.

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buchanaj

Trying to get link in.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Photo

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:37AM
chibimimi

I'm not sure a brick-and-stone mix is the best choice for this house. It has a lot going on already. Could you go with all stone? If not that, then all brick?

Also, I really do not like the two different gable treatments. Go with all jerkin-headed or all unclipped. Mixing it up does not work.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 4:51PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

I agree that the house pictured isn't one to model your home after. It's too much on too small of a lot. You'd want a much more unified look without all of the design inconsistencies pictured.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 6:26PM
chibimimi

Sorry, just re-read your original post and see you are not using two different gable styles. I would still not mix brick and stone on the exterior.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 7:33PM
tulip55

We are currently in the process of choosing brick and stone and I am amazed at how difficult it has been. Many of the panels I see and like look very different on a house. I think it is critical that you see the brick on an actual house with the mortar before you decide. Of course, you need to have an idea of what color you might like before you can do that.

Have you chosen a general color of brick? Many of the brick makers have samples and actual photos of houses built with the brick on their websites. Our builder has given us addresses of homes to look at that have the brick we are interested in, and so far we have not liked any of them. At least we were able to eyeball them, so to speak.

The answer to the stone question will depend on the brick I think. We are still undecided on whether or not to use stone because our style of house looks better without it. So, don't use it just because you can, but because it will enhance the appearance of your home.

Best wishes on your build.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:56AM
gaonmymind

Sooooo true about seeing it on a sample board with mortar. I picked a brick and everyone thought it would be great. Saw the sample and HATED it beyond words. It was hideous. Thankfully a kind architect led me in the right direction.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Master Bath Layout Help
Hi, I have decided to get rid of the freestanding tub....
noworries22
Foyer lighting
Asking for your advise. We are trying to pick a foyer...
kg4951
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
Looking at houses in my hometown today
So today I went to my hometown and drove around looking...
mrspete
Sponsored Products
O-Link Runner 2' x 8' - AQUA
$159.00 | Horchow
Cire Hershey Topaz Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$229.00 | Bellacor
Insulated 72-inch Thermal Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Jofran 698-3 Baroque Brown End Table
Beyond Stores
David Trubridge Design | Belle Pendant Light
$630.00 | YLighting