cast iron griddle even?

rdwrightMarch 1, 2005

I am thinking about getting a large cast iron griddle. At the moment, I use the All-Clad double burner griddle and love its even heat (i.e. the area between the burners is just as warm as the area over the burners.) I am wondering if this would be the case for cast iron as well. I am currently looking at the Lodge Logic Pro Grid/Iron Griddle for its size, reversible sides, and cast iron's indestructibility. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idahogardner

Our cast iron griddle dosn't heat evenly but I still love it and use both sides of it. That brand may do better?

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 12:42PM
velodoug

No, a cast iron griddle will not heat as evenly as your All-Clad griddle. Cast iron has high thermal mass (so it holds heat well) but low conductivity (so it heats unevenly). In contrast, aluminum has low thermal mass (so it cools off if overloaded with cold food) but high conductivity (so it heats evenly). The best material is copper which has both high thermal mass and high conductivity, but it's too expensive to be practical for griddles.

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 5:10PM
talley_sue_nyc

I always thought cast-iron griddles were best but have been having trouble w/ uneven heating on mine.

That's a great explanation, VeloDoug! Thanks.

Probably the solution is to give your griddle a long time to heat up, so the heat can spread.

But my big problem w/ the aluminum griddles I've seen is, the handles stick up! They'll get in the way while I'm flipping, I'm just sure (esp. since I'm only 5'2"), and the biggie:

They will be hard to store. I currently stand my griddle up in a side cabinet, and put OTHER stuff standing up in there, too. Those handles will be a PITA.

Anybody know of an aluminum griddle WITHOUT those big sticking-up handles?

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 3:35PM
ellyd

Talley Sue, I have a Chef's Design cast aluminum griddle. Smooth on one side, ridged on the other. It looks like the cast iron ones. I've had mine for about 3 years and it seasoned up just like my favorite cast iron skillets. It has no handles on it, and I have no problem with the heat distribution.

However it looks like the only ones out there now have non-stick coatings.

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
dccnm
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
Sponsored Products
Curved Wrought Iron Sink Stand - Burnished Bronze
Signature Hardware
Arteriors Home - Richland Lamp - 46830-779
Great Furniture Deal
Checkpoint Coffee Table
| Dot & Bo
Coronado Side Table
Grandin Road
Caribbean Sea Blue Box Scroll 350-Thread Count Down Comforter
$149.99 | zulily