Are copper lids really useful with those copper pots?

homey_birdMarch 16, 2009

Hello,

I am getting ready to buy a copper saute pan from either Mauviel/Falk/Bourgeat -- and since lids can cost quite a bit, am seriously wondering if it is all that important to buy a copper lid for a copper pot for any other reason than looks or completing the set!

I would be perfectly ok using one of my SS lids on my cookware. In fact, I do that all the time, because SS lids can be tossed into the dishwasher saving me some washing effort. I love this idea; however just curious if there are any situations where it would be helpful to use a copper lid (any special recipe or use of the pot for specific purpose).

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

Interesting question. If the lid will form a tight fit, I suppose it doesn't matter whether it's copper or not. You rely on the pan for conductivity much more than the lid. Also, I have copper from years and years ago that I purchased with flat lids that merely get placed over the pans and do not fit within the rims. I suppose a less responsive metal could result in a bit more cooling of the pan, but I'm not sure you would notice. How much precision do you need for what you plan to saute?

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homey_bird

Hi Kitchendetective,

Thanks for the reply. I do not need a precision for my current cooking at all. I have been fine using all those SS lids so far.

My question, because I am still evolving as a cook and like to try international cuisine and exotic recipes. I am just trying to find out if I might run into a recipe that absolutely requires even heat from everywhere -- (e.g. grilled pizza though I would suspect a cast iron skillet is better suited for it) -- and do not want to end up thinking "if only".

I have not placed an order yet but will do so soon ... in couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 12:41AM
More Discussions
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™