Can't do Rumsford fireplace, so what height is best for 42" wide?

threeapplesOctober 11, 2012

If we want to do a Rumsford in the keeping room we would need to widen the opening and the cost of that plus needed parts is too high. The width for this fireplace is 42. How can we make it look like a Rumsford proportion in terms of the right height? Would 40" be correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Why would you need to widen the opening to make it a Rumford design? It could be 24" to 48" wide.

There is no "correct" height but typically a 42" wide Rumford firebox would have a height of 38" to 42" and a depth of only 15". The Jim Buckley website I gave you in another thread gives that information and other dimensions from his perspective.

If you are gong to use Rumford proportions be sure you are using a mason who has done it many times before. If that person doesn't know the proper height of the firebox find someone who does rather than asking for this information from strangers on the internet; you need a good mason.

I use the Masonry Fireplace and Chimney Handbook from the Masonry Institute of America as a guide. Any good mason should own it. It has recommendations for a Rumford and a modified Rumford fireplace. We have learned a little bit since 1796.

The Rumford fireplace is about radiation not appearance. If you don't intend to heat your house with this fireplace and you don't intend the fireplace to be a historic replica, you don't need to follow all of Rumford's ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Masonry Fireplace and Chimney Handbook

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:03AM
threeapples

Thanks for the info and advice. I'll get some details from the mason and post back. I asked for advice here because I have no experience building and want to get as much info as I can. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 12:23PM
lavender_lass

Threeapples- I admire your strength and self-confidence to take on such a project, when you don't have much experience with home building. I've learned a lot from some of your questions, too...and I hope I am as successful, when I finally get a chance to work on our project :)

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:56PM
threeapples

Thanks so much, lavender. That is really nice of you and really made me feel better. This is a very daunting and stressful project, but its been more interesting and I've been more informed because if Garden Web. These forums are really wonderful source of motivation, insight, and information.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 5:17PM
threeapples

we asked another mason and he said we need a different flue and that, along with a damper system, which would cost $2500. So, we're going to forego it.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:22PM
chispa

threeapples, just curious, wasn't all of this spec'd up front? You seem to be having to change/correct so many things ...

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 2:34AM
threeapples

Chispa, the widths of the fireplaces were suggested by the architect, but no further details. Yes, I'd agree that we are doing most of this ourselves.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 8:15AM
renovator8

It appears that you are committed to a certain size of flue and damper but it's not clear why. Are they already in place? Have they been bought?

In order to design a chimney that will serve a certain area of firebox opening we need to know the height of the chimney and the size of any flue you already own.

I haven't been able to follow this discussion because none of it makes sense to me.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Raised basement
For a level lot, a basement is usually underground....
net42k
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Help With Hip Roof and Mixed Pitches (+ Please Critique My Home Front)
Hello, I and my husband are building a colonial with...
mary8153
Finally under way but concerned...
So our home is finally being started and moving along,...
njbuilding143
What would you do differently if you were building your house again?
I saw this thread dated from a few years ago on the...
Darla Grossman
Sponsored Products
Butterfly 'Family' Block Sign
$11.99 | zulily
Forshaw Aegean Stone Mantel - Colonnade White - FLS-GRP-AGN
Hayneedle
Deeco Aztec Allure Cast Iron Chimney Pizza Oven - DM-0039-IA-C
$670.99 | Hayneedle
Metropolitan Table Top Ethanol Fireplace
Overstock.com
Starry Night Small Black/ Copper Fire Dome
Overstock.com