How to season a waffle iron?

becky_caFebruary 24, 2009

I have an old Toastmaster waffle iron that belonged to my grandfather. My mom had one just like it when I was growing up - it makes 4 waffles at once, and the plates reverse and the lids hinge open completely so the other side can be used as a griddle. The problem is, the one time I tried to use it the waffles stuck horribly (actually tore in half when I opened it), so I'm wondering what the best way to clean and season it is.

When I look at them, I can see some sort of build up, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's non-stick cooking spray - it seems like when I use that over time it leaves a residue.

I'm thinking maybe I should spray the grates with oven cleaner to completely clean them and go from there, but I would appreciate any hints or ideas you can give.

Becky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Becky, also check the Cooking forum. Seems we had a discussion similar like that some time ago. Someone may know the answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 7:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gorilla_x

I have a KA Pro waffle maker. The instructions (probably applies to yours too) state NOT to use non-stick spray because a residue will remain over time. I use recipes with a lot of fat in it to prevent sticking. Check out the cooking forum for recipes.

-Gorilla

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Food Grinder
My hubs gave me the meat/food grinder attachment for...
mimijacobs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™