Santoku knives

marilyn_flFebruary 28, 2006

I recently purchased a set of Wolfgang Santoku knives and I am wondering if they need to be sharpened by a professional or can it be done at home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanb

You can sharpen them at home if you know how to sharpen a knife. If you don't care to learn how then I suggest you choose a professional sharpener...carefully. Ask them if they have experience with thin bladed forged knives and stress that you want as little metal removed as possible. Another alternative is to buy an good electric sharpener but this alternative is likely to cost more than the knives you bought. In the mean time I suggest you learn how to use a steel. It will greatly increase the time between sharpenings. Steeling realigns the edge but removes very, very little metal.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 9:35PM
marilyn_fl

My husband knows how to use a steel. So I can get him to some sharpening when needed.
Thanks

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 9:04AM
treedancer

Well, what a surprise! I find myself scheduled to post on Santoku knives when I was really trying to post a comment on the Ultrex cookware thread. Where is it? This website is one of the most awkward I have ever seen.
Well, on the off-chance that this post might be directed to the right thread...Hey folks, until Dupont et al fixes their toxic product, i.e., Teflon, which all non-stick products are no matter what they call it, my recommendation is...throw out all your non-stick cookware, it is dangerous and toxic. Grandma's cast iron is every bit as non-stick as Teflon and a whole lot healthier, though it is a bit heavy. Stainless steel and cast iron are your best bets for good cooking.
treedancer

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 7:57PM
mustangs81

Treedancer, that's odd...I have often wished other forums were as user friendly as this one.

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 11:46AM
kframe19

One note...

Using a steel to hone a knife is NOT the same as sharpening it.

Honing a knife on a steel moves the edge back into alignment. In use, the edge of a knife will round over and wonder back and forth like a curvy road. The steel realigns the edge so that when you cut down you're actually cutting with the edge instead of a rounded part of the side of the edge.

Sharpening, on the other hand, removes material from the knife blade. Over time, the nice, sharp edge will dull -- erode or be worn away.

Once that happens, no amount of steeling in the world will bring it back.

I use a Lansky sharpening system on my knives. It makes it much easier to set the proper angle and helps prevent unfortunately sharpening "oopsies" in which you dig the nicely sharpened edge into the stone and have to start all over again.

Most kitchen knives only need sharpened once a year, if that.

You should, though, use a steel on your knives EVERY TIME you use it.

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™