Old Le Creuset French Oven

tima9209February 24, 2010

I have a Le Creuset French Oven that's probably 30 years old, and it appears to have a cast iron interior (dull black, slightly rough). The current products seem to have smooth coated enamel interiors. There is also something called "satin black enamel". Just trying to figure out exactly what I have, whether the new ones are as good and worth the money, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tima9209

I should have mentioned the interior of the LID does have the smooth, sand-colored enamel. It's the interior of the POT that appears to be uncoated cast iron.

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 4:49PM
cat_mom

My two round LC ovens (purchased within the past two-three years) are Satin Black with the black interiors. Satin Black is a discontinued color BTW.

According to LC, they are coated inside and out with the same black (non-shiny) enamel. I purposely chose that color because I not only liked the satiny black itself, but I liked the idea of the black interior. I figured the lighter-colored enamel would eventually show stains/discoloration. I usually add a sprinkle of BKF (Barkeeper's Friend) when I'm cleaning them, and they look like brand new.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 11:41AM
danab_z9_la

Sounds like your French oven has developed a polymerized oil/carbon seasoning like a regular cast iron pan. Yes, enameled Le Creuset cast iron pieces can be seasoned (intentionally or unintentionally). I would be willing to bet that underneath that coating lies a sand colored enamel surface.

Dan

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™