Ultrex

sparky932February 7, 2008

I'm still shaken by the cover of my Ultrex pan exploding. I took the cover off the pan to add other ingredients. I set it down on the counter, which was room temperature obviously, as I had done many times before, wham! There was glass everywhere, even in my boots. This is the replacement set I recieved from HSN, the other set was recalled because of its explosive nature, and potential for severe damage.....Its all going in the garbage, I'm afraid to use it....Beware!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danab_z9_la

I'm wondering if your cover imploded rather than exploded. Either way both are very scary events to witness. I've seen both with lab ware but not with any cookware. Putting a hot dome shaped glass cover onto a cool counter top might cause a vacuum to form in the air space that is between the counter and the underside of the cover. Any steam condensing into liquid water droplets on the underside of the cover undergoes a tremendous reduction in volume upon cooling. Glassware cannot take much pressure or vacuum exerted upon it especially if there are any scratches on the glass. If this is indeed the mechanism that caused your incident, this could happen with other brands of glass covers too.

Have you ever in the past experienced your hot cover ever wanting to stick a bit to your counter top when you picked it up to put it back on your pot?

Dan

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™