Cleaning a baking stone

dmloveFebruary 12, 2007

I have a newish baking stone that already (after a month or so) has quite a bit of "gunk" baked on. It's not just stained, that wouldn't bother me, but there's actual "residue of baking", such as sesame seeds, baked dough from scraping off a stuck challah, etc. How do I clean it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velodoug

I scrape ours with a putty knife. With a bit of elbow grease it comes out smooth enough that I can't feel any deposits on it when I close my eyes and run my hand over it. This does nothing to help the appearance, of course :-)

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 5:57PM
ann_t

The best way to clean a baking stone is leave it in your oven during a cleaning cycle.

I leave mine in the oven even when roasting a chicken or turkey on high heat. And I bake on it two or three times a week. I dust off any of the excess cornmeal or flour that has stuck to it from breads and then put it through a 3 1/2 hour cleaning cycle.

Before

After

Ann

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 10:39AM
dmlove

Thanks Ann - I saw your message in the other thread. I'm actually going to use the self-clean this weekend. In the meantime, we did clean it with just some scraping and water and it worked fine to remove all the baked on "excess".

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™