Wolfgang Puck cast-iron dutch oven

ScooksFebruary 24, 2014

Hello,
I just got a 5.6qt. Wolfgang Puck enameled cast-iron dutch oven. If you use one of these, can you please share your experience/review? Also, I got it for 40 bucks on sale at TJMaxx. Is it a good price for this item?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancylouise_gw

The price is good for a cast iron d o of that size. That it is a Wolfgang puck item is questionable. Having tried his small appliances (oil fryers), the quality is just not there. Returned both due to pieces breaking off with use. I have no first hand knowledge of his cookware. But would not purchase it due to his lack of quality in other products. His cast iron is made in China I believe. China cookware is known for it's lack of quality and questionable glazes that they use. I use to work in a cooking store. Paula Deen had her C I made in China also. We received them into the store with chips,cracks and splits in the iron and sent them back. She had a few recalls on her cast iron cookware made in China also. I don't buy cookware made in China period. The quality and confidence is just not there for me. NancyLouise

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren

Just use precautions to protect the glaze from cracking. I have been having good success with several sizes and brands of Dutch ovens made in China.

Do not preheat the oven and then pour in anything cold. If you are braisng meat and then wish to add water or other liquid, heat it a bit in your microwave first. If you place oil in the oven before adding food, place it in before you heat the oven.

Don't do anything to scratch the coating--use wooden or silicone utensils, and don't drag it across rough surfaces; pick it up. Place it doen gently, and use soft hot pads under it.

If the cover handle is plastic, it must be removed before use in the oven.

These are all basic precautions for this type of cookware, even if it is Le Creuset. My DB has lc and I find little difference between that and my own Dutch oven. I think the non-lc ovens have been unfairly castigated on some forums.
In any case, you could easily have spent 3X more for the French version, which may itself now be made in China, anyway. The Chinese are perfectly capable of good work--they have been working with porcelain for centuries!

You will be pleased with how quickly things cook in your Dutch oven. The cover is heavy enough to retain the heat better than more lightweight cookpots. It is not exactly pressure cooking, but a bit in that direction. You will love it.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
Sponsored Products
Forum Set of Four Coffee Mugs
$52.00 | FRONTGATE
Built-in/ Countertop 1300W Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
Built In Oven Cabinet
CliqStudios Cabinets
Swivel Table
Dot & Bo
Oster 6085 6-slice Convection Toaster Oven
Overstock.com