Everyday dishes to use in microwave

marie26February 12, 2005

My dishes get very hot in the microwave and since I need to get new dishes, I was wondering if there is a certain material that I won't have to use an oven mitt to remove a dish from the microwave.

I rent and have noticed this in the past few microwaves that I had, including very high end models. I never noticed this happening years ago and I haven't changed the dishes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No, dishes and other containers get heated by the hot food which had been heated by the microwave. You still will need to be smart and use an oven mitt or other pot holder when handling any container of heated food or liquid.

Don't know why you didn't notice it before, but in my experience, this has always been the case.

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 12:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dishes that get hot in the microwave, are not "microwave safe"...that means that there is some element in the dishes that absorbs microwave energy. Something like metal in the glaze or in the dish itself. Unless, or course, you are cookiung something like rice in them that takes at least 4 or 5 minutes and stays hot so long that it heats the bowl.
Test the dishes for microwave safety by putting a glass container of water and the dish in question in the microwave....heat for 30 seconds or so...or until the water boils and test the temprature of the dish. If it's hot it's absorbing microwave energy.
Linda C

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Linda, I still think that there is a transfer of heat from the food or liquid. Good test process.

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 1:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I made the mistake a couple years ago when I decided I wanted a few different inexpensive dishes to change out seasonally just for everyday. Found two patterns I liked at Pier 1 and only needed dinner plates. Only after getting them home and having one crack in the microwave, did I think to look on the bottom of the plate, duh! They were dishwasher safe, but nothing mentioned about microwaves. So, we kept some of the old corelle out, and when we need to heat for more than a few seconds, use the Corelle. In the past, I had some Irish stoneware that also cracked/crazed in a warm oven---so that might happen with other non-microwavable dishes also. (I have also done the water/dish test to see if something was micro safe).

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 5:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't attempt to nuke with dishes in the microwave as they all seem to get hot -- even my Corning/Pyrex which I know is microwave safe.

I have a few plates, dishes and bowls that were designed specifically for the microwave which I use to reheat foods that aren't being heated in their storage containers. I have some clear glass bowls which don't seem to get hot that I use for nuking a lot of stuff -- soups, frozen fruit etc. None of this stuff is particularly attractive so I just think of it as another form of cookware used for the microwave.

I have some mugs of the new Fiesta line which is technically microwave safe and they get very hot so I have always assumed that all china/porcelein etc. will get hot and I haven't attempted to heat on any dish that I actually like and want to keep around for awhile :)

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Helene....yes there is/ can be a transfer of heat....but there is also a factor of some dishes absorbing the microwave energy.
If you put a handfull of chips on a plate and top with some grated cheese and stick in the micro long enough to melt the cheese....there should be no transfer of heat to the dish from the food...but some dishes will get hot due to them absorbing the microwave energy.
2 different things....dishes absorbing heat from food that is being cooked in them and dishes absorbing energy from the microwaves themselves because they have metal in them some where.
Linda C

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 11:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The OP had not changed her idshes, but she had used different microwave units. My old MW noticibly lost power as it got older, and I noted that my newer model got things a lot hotter a lot faster.

My observation was based on her statement that she had not changed dishware.

    Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 11:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have not done the test yet. I have been using the Corelle microwavable dishes for about 5 years. Could their properties change in that time?

    Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My suggestion is that you are using your microwave differently....not only for thawing and melting cheese and chocolate but also for real cooking and heating large things.
Corelle is glass and should not absorb any microwave energy...it has to be coming from the food.
Linda C

    Bookmark   February 14, 2005 at 12:25PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Sponsored Products
Microwave Size Nonstick Silicone Baking Mat
$12.99 | zulily
Darth Vader 20-Oz. Ceramic Mug
$9.99 | zulily
Cream & Blue 5.75'' Wavy Pie Plate Set
$17.99 | zulily
Tofu Buddha Bowl
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Chirp 12-Oz. Thermal Travel Mug
$10.99 | zulily
Small Bianco Oval Covered Casserole Dish
$21.99 | zulily
Blue Square 8'' Baker
$14.99 | zulily
Red Silicone 24-Oz. Suction Bottle
$8.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™