Cleaning Calphalon hard-anonized?

NatsmomFebruary 3, 2006

I'm following directions - clean in warm sudsy water with Scotch-brite and I still have brown spots.

Is this normal? The manual (!) says brown spots means some residue is remaining. So, it's supposed to clean spotlessly?

(I have the Everyday Pan.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chitownfifi

You need to use Bar Keepers Friend. Nothing compares. I like to use the Dobi pads rather than Scotch.

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 12:44AM
fenworth

I don't know if the instructions have changed but when my mom got hers many years ago they said scotch brite and Ajax or Comet. I would think BKF will do the same thing. She generally just uses soapy water but once in a while when I'm over I'll notice they're a little brown for my taste and clean them up no problem with Ajax.

I also have some Calphalon, but the commercial non-stick. The outside is the same, and I can say that once oily spills get "seasoned" (i.e. burnt) onto the outside, well then good luck. No amount of elbow grease seems to help. I'm not sure if I've tried BKF or not, but I will now that I saw the last response.

Maybe someone else has suggestions?

If you want to contact Calphalon directly, I suggest you call rather than email. I've been waiting patiently for a response to an unrelated inquiry I sent them on Monday but have not heard back. Same for GE. Apparently customer service isn't a high priority these days.

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 9:21AM
harper

I've always used an SOS pad on hard-anodized Calphalon.

Harper

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 7:33PM
deepwater

Cleaning instructions are here on the Calphalon site:
http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/jhtml/hardAnodized.jhtml

Cleaning

Do not clean Calphalon hard-anodized cookware in a dishwasher. Dishwasher detergents will damage the surface. Dishwasher use will void your Lifetime Warranty.

Hand wash your cookware thoroughly inside and out after every use. Wash with hot, sudsy water and a dishcloth or Scotch-Brite pad and a recommended cleanser (see below). After cleaning, the pan should have an even color tone and matte finish. Dark, shiny, or hazy spots on hard-anodized surfaces mean that some residue remains on the cooking surface.

Recommended Cleaners
 Ajax® (with or without bleach), Comet (with or without bleach), Dormond

Recommended Cleaning Pad
 Scotch-BriteÂ

Very interesting. They recommend Ajax, Comet or Dormond for hard anodized, but BKF for infused and stainless. BKF contains oxalic acid to brighten things up.

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
Stainless Cookware cleaning - again... :
Hi all, IÂve read a lot of posts on how to clean stainless...
wazatron
Sponsored Products
Wallace Rectangular Coffee Table
FRONTGATE
Puppy Love Entry Mat
Grandin Road
Cala Outdoor Suspension by Marset
$965.00 | Lumens
Two Mesh Domes - BROWN
$120.00 | Horchow
Sonneman | Capital 12 Inch Round LED Flush Mount
$550.00 | YLighting