Would you buy a microwave online?

gardeningannieOctober 20, 2012

I'm so frustrated ! For weeks I have researched various countertop microwaves online, checking the reviews, reading the pros and cons and finally narrowed my search down to 2.

Both the Sharp R 530 EK (2.0 cf, 1200 watts, $180) and the Panasonic NNH 765 BF (1.6 cf, 1,250, $170) had really great reviews.

The problem ~ there is not one store in or around the Louisville area (Home Depot, Lowes, KMart, Walmart, various appliance stores) that carries either of these models ! Even if on a HD or Lowes website, if it's not also in the store, I'm on my own. Reviews of the in-store models prove to be less than desirable.

Both of these models are available online (Amazon, I think) and I wondered how you all felt about ordering an appliance online. Certainly don't like the thought of my purchase being damaged during shipping, but I'm running out of options.

Does any one have feedback about either of these models or the 'online appliance ordering' experience. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Amazon is really reliable and great about returns - I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:34PM
colin3

I have nothing on the models, but I would have no hesitation about ordering a microwave online - I got my current one that way. As Weissman says Amazon is pretty good about returns.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:44AM
breezygirl

I bought my MW drawer, warming drawer, and built-in fridge online. I saved a bundle. The WD box looked banged round and was ripped open a bit. I refused service and called the eBay seller. He sent a new one out the next day.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 2:35AM
Cavimum

We ended up buying a Panasonic MW from Amazon because not a single local store carried the model we wanted. So far it has been fine.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 5:30AM
gardeningannie

Very encouraging information ~ thanks to all.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:10AM
Nunyabiz1

Bought mine online and had no problems

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:22AM
seasyde

Bought a Panasonic from Amazon a few weeks ago. I knew they have a good return policy if there is a problem but everything arrived just fine.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:19AM
maire_cate

Last month I ordered a GE Spacemaker microwave online. I did go to my local appliance stores and the big boxes but as the salesman explained to me - they don't make much money on a microwave so most stores don't stock too many. I also ordered through Amazon.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 4:12PM
clinresga

Huge Amazon fan (esp with Prime free shipping) but actually bought our Panasonic MW from Newegg, another fabulous online retailer. They are mainly focused on technology stuff, but carry an interesting assortment of appliances. They also have great customer svc. Like another poster, the first we ordered had a dent (this is a hazard of online purchasing) but they immediately shipped a replacement and sent out a prepaid shipping return label so we just shoved it back into the box and had UPS pick it up. No hassles. And, at least for a little while longer, no sales tax, which for me is an automatic 8% discount. Heck, I prefer buying online versus getting into the car, fighting traffic, and dealing with brain dead big box salespeople.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:50AM
weedmeister

Got my last one from AJ Madison.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:27PM
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

Home Depot and Lowes both usually offer a "ship to store" option - if it's available on their website, check whether you can buy it online and have it shipped to your nearest store for pick up. The other advantage is that you don't have to pay shipping. I bought my microwave from Best Buy that way.

On the other hand, I've had only good experiences with Amazon shipping.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 5:59PM
Fori is not pleased

I'd go with Amazon. You won't even have to get dressed. They're really really easy about returns but those things are packed well enough it shouldn't be a problem.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 4:41PM
Cavimum

"I'd go with Amazon. You won't even have to get dressed. "
LOL That is the best part. Shop from home, in jammies, cup of tea/coffee/wine/whatevs, and they leave it at our front door! No traffic, no parking hassle.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
motor for bluestar hood
I recently purchased a floor model bluestar range and...
shelly_ok
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
De Dietrich induction cooktop
Is anyone around that has any data about De Deitrich...
chinchette
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™