Steve Jobs, founder of Apple

grandmsOctober 5, 2011

Just saw an item on Facebook from our local newspaper that Apple announced today that Steve Jobs has died. He was 58.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Such a clever man dying so young. He has certainly left his mark though. RIP.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 8:51PM
grandms

Actually, he was only 56. I had a senior moment when typing. Although I personally never used Apple products, one has to admire someone with so much vision and drive.

Apple just recently passed Exxon/Mobile as the most highly valued company.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 10:12PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I'm somewhat at a loss for words but Steve's contributions to the world of technology and the lives of tens, if not, hundreds of millions of people is staggering. He and Apple took technology and made it accessible.

We've lost one of the greats...

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 8:26AM
asolo

If atheists had "saints", he would be a candidate. Authentic genius -- with the grace to step aside when he ran out of gas.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 10:05AM
zep516

Google added a small, one-line tribute to Steve Jobs to arguably its most valuable asset -- its home page.

It read, "Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011."

The unadorned text honoring the Apple co-founder and former CEO who died Wednesday is an interesting move because Apple and Google are major rivals and occasionally business partners.

"At one time, Google and Apple were close allies, with Google's former CEO, Eric Schmidt, sitting on Apple's board of directors.

Google's Android mobile operating system is the most widely used in the world, and Apple's iPhone and iPad are the most popular smartphones and tablets sold.

Touchscreen smartphones weren't widely used before the iPhone, a device that literally changed the way phones and mobile applications are viewed and used. Some believe Android wouldn't exist without the release of that influential product.

Google's influence isn't removed from the iPhone either. Tap on the maps app and up pops Google Maps. The default search engine in the iPhone and on iPad's Safari Web browser? Google."

And maybe that's the point. There are only so many major players in the tech industry and just as there is one Google and one Apple, there is one Steve Jobs. And Google can't help but recognize that.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 10:18AM
ginny12

Steve Jobs was one of those people who makes me feel good about this country and optimistic about our future. You can still come from nowhere or anywhere and if you have the brains, the creativity, the work ethic, you can change the world. I think he'll be remembered with Thomas Edison and Henry Ford as one of the great innovators.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 10:33AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

no doubt one of the true greats and leaders in technology he will be remembered for his accomplishments. Now this is a man that should be given a major award, he really did something to deserve one.
My sympathy to his family and friends, I know that loss has to hurt deeply.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 2:05PM
bbbluz

He was one of the greats! He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

My blessings to his family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Chrome browser crashes
Every time I click a link to open with Chrome browser,...
grandms
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Paper Floor Lamp Patchwork
YLighting
Turn me loose wool throw - apple green
Origin Crafts
Steve Silver Antoinette Leg Dining Table in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Green Apple Pop Color Stool - Short
$144.99 | Dot & Bo
Wave Wide Shade Sconce by SONNEMAN Lighting
$310.00 | Lumens
Country Apple Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™